Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Asus v7700 deluxe installation

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

08-04-01, 01:00 PM   #1  
Hello. I am building a computer for the first time. I am to the point where I need to install the asus v7700 graphics card. I was just wondering if it was normal that this card should be installed upside down. That would be the only way it could fit in my case. I'm installing it into a AGP on an asus cusl2-c bp edition board.

Also, it says that this card needs windows98. I only have the full edition of windows95 and then I have an upgrade to 98. Will it be ok if I install windows 95 and then upgrade to 98? I would think that as long as I do this I'll be ok.
Let me know if you have any comments or suggestions.

Thanks,
Scott

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

08-04-01, 08:37 PM   #2  
bigmike
OK

Well the 95 to 98 upgrade will be OK but you really should get Win 98 SE2 or ME now. As far as the AGP card, it can only be plugged into the slot one way so I don't get what you are saying. It is keyed to fit one way only. Get back and give me some more info on what u mean by upside down.

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

08-04-01, 09:19 PM   #3  
The upgrade I have is windows 98 second edition. I haven't had time to install the graphics card yet. It looks as if the GPU and all of the circuitry will be on the bottom when I install it. I was just wondering if this is normally the case for graphics cards.
Thanks,
Scott

WI

08-05-01, 12:28 AM   #4  
yes it is normal for the card to be component side down in a tower. this is (well why I think it is) is because you can install a fan on the GPU heatsink and will not get a build up of dust on the HS or on the component leads. Dust that gathers on the back of the board is not a big issue since the cards are dipped or sprayed with a resin. sounds good to me. I think most of the new cards are now keyed to install "upside down".

Or....could be that since the AGP slot is so high up on the board they mount the graphics upside down so the components will not hit the power supply or any other housing units near the top end of a mini or mid tower during installation.

I think the second is a better explanation...but you can pick the one that sounds better.

Brian

Search this Thread