CDRW question

Old 08-04-01, 07:01 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I just picked up a used cdrw, no cables or driver. I downloaded the driver. The manual says to hook the audio cable from the cdrw to my sound card. I already have my cd-rom hooked up to my sound card by the audio cable. Do I hook up both cdrw and cd-rom to the sound card?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-01, 08:33 PM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool CD write

Yes, but what sound card are you using? It may be able to get sound through the mother board. But your best bet is to connect the digital patch up. If you are running the digital connection to your sound card run it to the writer instead. Hopefully you have one of the Sound Blaster Live series. They are designed to to what you want. I run the FX series and it's the cats meow. I think they are below $100 US now. Paid $150 for mine when it first came out. But it's sweeeet!

Old 08-05-01, 12:30 AM
BSB
If your not going to use the CDRW as a Cd-rom or play music Cd's in it, I wouldn't worry about it. The instructions are written with the assumption you only have the one CD drive (the one you are installing.).

Brian

Old 08-05-01, 08:55 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool digital

But, if you want to record digital you will need the link to the sound card.

Old 08-05-01, 09:09 PM
Gary Tait
Visiting Guest
The cable carries analog audio only. To Digitally copy the audio on an audio CD, you use a process called DAE,
which brings it in over the IDE bus.

Old 08-07-01, 04:28 AM
If the sound card is a SoundBlaster Value Plus, it has a second connector on the card for another CD. I'm sure some of the other cards have them too.

If so, you can plug it in there, but may have to reinstall or even upgrade the sound card driver.