POST help needed

Old 08-06-01, 08:21 PM
Visiting Guest
Hello. I am building my first computer. I have everything put together and started it up today. I have a cd-rw drive instead of a cdrom drive. I entered my bios and made the appropriate changes. The motherboard found both my cd-rw drive and harddrive. It apparently autoconfigured the harddrive incorrectly, so I changed the number of cylinders to 16383 and the number of heads to 16 because I have a 60 gig. western digital harddrive. The autodetect was using 1024 and 255 respectively(or something similar to these values).
I have a startup disk for windows95 version B. When I saved my Phoenix bios the computer restarted and I got an error that said DISK BOOT FAILURE. INSERT SYSTEM DISK.
I inserted my windows95 system disk and hit enter and got the following error: Non-system disk or disk error.
I'm not exactly sure why this is. If you have any tips or know of any good web sites let me know. I've been using pcmech.
Thanks,
Scott

Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-01, 04:12 AM
BSB
sounds like you are getting the "large" disk failure. 2 things that need to be checked out.

1. The largest drive your MOBO documentation says the bios will handle. My tyan says it will only accept a 30Gig or smaller drive. (was 10 before I updated the bios).

2. What version of win95 do you have? If you have the first version it will not see any drive bigger then 2.6 Gig. or 3.2, 2.3, I forget, but its puny compared to your 60.

the MOBO will detect the largest disk it is capable of using. It did detect incorrectly in refrence to the drive, but not to its max limit specs.

Brian

Old 08-07-01, 04:41 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

Hello. I wasn't able to find any bios limit for the hard drive capacity. I am using ACPI bios revision 1006.A with an asus cusl2-c bp edition motherboard.

I think I may just have the wrong boot disk. I got my boot disk from http://www.bootdisk.com because I didn't have a boot disk for windows95b because I upgraded to win98 second edition. I got my boot disk here:
http://tronix-online.com/boot/windows/

I just downloaded the file for windows95b and created a boot disk. I now see that when you scroll down they have another file for MS-DOS 7.10 Bootdisk (FAT16 or FAT32 Windows 95B & 95C (4.00.1111). Do I need the DOS boot disk? I'm not sure what the difference between the two is. I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks a lot!!
Scott

Old 08-08-01, 05:15 AM
BSB
Did you format your drive? Use your boot disk to get a dos prompt, then type fdisk. select enable large disk support, view your current partitions, if it comes up blank or you do not see a C: primary partition, you will need to creat one. Select the size of each partition or max for only one partition, after partitioning is complete will tell you to restart, keep the boot disk in, then format each partition. Once formating is down you will be able to restart (again...sigh...) and load windows.

Let us know how it goes.

Brian

Old 08-08-01, 06:30 AM
Bazooka227
Visiting Guest
Auto configure in the system BIOS sometimes gives the "wrong" numbers. This was due to a limitation of some older BIOSes where large drives were not properly seen and had to be translated into something the BIOS understands.

Does the system work w/the full 60 at the auto detect parameters?

Old 08-08-01, 08:29 AM
Visiting Guest
My bios detected the size of my drive correctly with the correct number of sectors. However, it didn't detect the number of heads or cylinders correctly. I had to set them manually.

I got to a DOS prompt and ran fdisk. I had the wrong system disk the first time I tried it. I created a single primary partition, using the maximum capacity. However, it did not create a 60 gig. partition. It created a partition that was a little less than 25 gig. I talked to one person that said it was because win95b doesn't support a drive that is as large as 60 gig. I imagine I could create 3 partitions of 20 gigs each, but I would rather not do this. Do you think getting the full version of windows 2000 would solve this problem? Let me know what you think.
Thanks!
Scott

Old 08-08-01, 09:32 PM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool LBA Mode

Win 95 nor that old of a motherboard will not support LBA or Large Block Access drives. You wont like this but in my experience you can split the drive into multiple 5 gig partitions. There is some patitioning software out there but again your best bet is to upgrade, I love Asus and have 2 of them so stay with them but for LBA Ultra drives you are going to have to get a newer Bios. Also go to the drive manufactures web site and get the cly, sector blah, blah, blah from them and setup the drive that way. I dont think you are going to be able to run that drive on that old of OS and board. I could be wrong so chime up people...

Old 08-09-01, 08:21 AM
Visiting Guest
The board I have is a asus cusl2-c bp edition. It has intel's 815 chipset. I think it's a fairly new board. It reports the size of the drive correctly in the bios.

I think the problem I'm having is with windows 95. I have the CD for windows 95 B OEM. There are two service packs for this version. One supports the fat32 and has large disk support, the other doesn't. I upgraded my old machine to windows 98 se, so I can't look on there to see which one service pack I have. I couldn't find the service pack info. on the win 95 cd either. I'm considering getting the full version of windows 2000. I think I'll be able to boot to my CDROM to run fdisk. Has anyone tried this? Let me know.
Thanks,
Scott

Old 08-09-01, 09:08 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool startup disk

If you have any friends that have a computer with Win 98 you can get a startup disk from them. Go to a computer repair or even sales shop, take your own disk and ask them to make a disk for you. Yes you can boot from the CD but until you can get the HD to run you are beating a dead horse. I have 2000 also but took it off. I run ME and love it. Has been stable for over a year now and I am a power user. 2000 is OK but I couldn't run some of the older programing that I wanted. Creature of habit, I like Office 97, Outlook 98 etc. The new stuff has more bells and whistles than I need. Anyway you need to Fdisk from A:\ drive, my oppinion anyway, to get all this stuff right. Some of the newer techs run from the CD but I like to do things the way I know they work. Later, after the HD is setup, then boot from the CD to install whatever OS you have chosen... You may even want to unplug the CD from the IDE port while setting up the HD. I have seen conflicts of this kind before even though nothing is being reported. Hey if it has been a strange problem I have had it Had a 3 1/2 floppy go nuts, would read/write etc but it would remember the last disk that was used even though I would refresh the read. Found a single bent pin on the plug. "3" days to figure out a bent plug... I was using black and white film I guess