notebook w/ floppy troubles

Old 08-08-01, 01:21 PM
Swamprose
Visiting Guest
Angry

I purchased a DPI notebook from eBay auction. When I inserted the first disk from a new set of windows it would not seat, nor go all the way in, and now it will not eject. Any ideas how to remove the floppy w/o going to a hi-priced tech? Thanks, Swamprose
I do know, from fcc id, thie 500 series was manufactured by Nan Pan from China, and that's all I know. The hardware manual holds no info on who may even service this notebook.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-01, 08:45 PM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Ebay

This is exactly why I do not buy electronics from an online site. I want someone to yell at if it doesn't work. You are pretty much out of luck. I can't even find anything out about them other than they are still in buisness. You will have to take the notebook apart and take the floppy drive out, dismantle it and remove the disk. Then get the model numbers off the drive at hopefully be able to find a new one. You may luck out and call Taiwan/mail them and get them to send you another one. I had to do this on a unit I repaired not to long ago. This task alone can be trying to say the least. Notebooks are really meant to be throw away. Pay $1000 or more, run them for a year or two and buy a new one. You might try to holler at the Ebay people and see if they can get your money back but I bet it was an "As is" sale...

Old 08-08-01, 09:52 PM
Swamprose
Visiting Guest
floppy troubles

Thanx, bigmike, and I'm sure you're correct in everything you say, but I've had several good experencies w/ buying at the auctions. This is the first, and only time, I might say, to get burnt, for I'll think long and hard before making another purchase from an auction. The cd-rom I also won came, and it looks factory sealed, but what do I know, ha? The sale did not say "as is", but I'll bet I'll play heck trying to have my money returned. It seems like it's in great shape, for it doesn't present any scratches or mars; seemingly it looks well taken cared-of.
Would you advise me on how to remove the drive w/o the guts falling out when the case is opened? Reason for asking is because of a keyboard I opened only to have the key buttons fall out into my lap, funny now, but not then. Only paid 100 bucks for the notebook. It came with two pcmica slots, which I don't know what they are, :0} and the cards also enclosed in plastic wrap. Again, my thanks for your reply any help you can throw my way----Swamprose

Old 08-09-01, 06:34 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool $100

Well for $100 you didn't get burnt you got a lesson Right off hand I can't tell you how to take this apart. Just start taking it apart. Slowly remove screws, and watch how it comes apart. Write down the sequence if you want. It should't just fall apart though. When you put it back to gether watch out for cables and wires getting caught in the seams.

Old 08-09-01, 08:05 AM
Swamprose
Visiting Guest
floppy troubles

Appreciate, the input, and thank you for saying it may not fall apart. I will attempt this project, as I am a "do it yourselfer" if there's anyway it can be done by me. I'm female, and 64 this month, but this doesn't stop me from tackeling to what some folks may say is impossible, such as my hubby. Do any of you know where, on the net, I may find instructions for any kind of puter disassembly? Just a ???.
It will be at least Monday before I make any attempts as a family reunion in Ms has to be attended this weekend. My thanks again, may God bless each and all, and good day to any and all who reads these posts. Swamprose

Old 08-09-01, 08:55 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool destruction instructions

No Hon right off hand I cannot think of a single place to go for assembly destructions for this. Maybe if I had the model number/name etc I might dig something up but I too am about to hit the road. I retired from electronics about 2 years ago and since I didn't feel like going back to school at 42 I started driving a truck. By the time I get all my ham radio gear, GPS, computer etc in the truck there is no room for me If you can get this info back to me by say 1PM CST I can try to dig something up. After that I am limited to dialup on the road and dont get to come to the DIY site as often as I would like. So here we go...

Old 08-09-01, 09:09 AM
Bazooka227
Visiting Guest
OK, hopefully your notebook is still in one piece. Your floppy disk might be hung up by the label or the shutter. Push the eject button and see if the floppy moves or not. If it does, then get a pair of tweezers or needle nose pliers and grasp the disk with it. While pushing on the eject button, slowly pull the disk out.

Old 08-09-01, 09:16 AM
Swamprose
Visiting Guest
floppy

well, bigmike, sounds as though you have an interesting job. by truck driving you get to see much of what you wouldn't get to see by just vacationing. good trip, eh, big guy.
my notebook is a dpi series 5oo w/ built-in trackball. it was made by nan pan computers from tawain, as i had mentioned. on back of notebook:
Model # DGI-P-90C
Serial no. NCPO1839
FCC ID NCPO1939

hope this info helps, but you're a busy man, so please don't go out of your way trying to help. good trip, and rethanks, Swamprose

Old 08-09-01, 09:24 AM
Swamprose
Visiting Guest
floppy hangup for Bazakoo

hi,Bazooka227, please overlook me, for i overlooked your reply----so sorry. the eject button pushes in and out but does nothing. i can move the disk back and forth about a 1/4 of an inch. when i push the floppy all way in it does not [seat]lock down---it just shows itself again. i can read half of the word Microsoft on the disk if that tells you anything. it isn't hung by the lable, for i made sure nothing was bent or loose when inserting the floppy in the first place. thanks for your input--i appreaciate any and all replies. swamprose

Old 08-09-01, 11:39 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Flashlight

Well you might get a flashlight and see if you can see the offending piece of paper, cover over the disk etc that is hanging. A butter knife slid in on top and a pair of needle nose pliers or better yet a pair of hemostats and try to pull the disk out. If that is what is holding it up the drive may be ok. Couldn't find anything usefull about that unit though.

Old 08-09-01, 12:52 PM
Swamprose
Visiting Guest
Talking floppy fixed

hey, you guys, got the dang thing out finally. ran a knife in on both sides then gently tugged on the floppy. it came out first followed by the metal piece, which i manually pulled out. haven't hooked the notebook up as of yet, but i'm getting ready to do so. will let you know the results. thanks a million and one, and God bless. swamprose

Old 08-10-01, 07:17 AM
Bazooka227
Visiting Guest
Yup, I've seen that metal shutter fall off like that quite often. It's also usually not the drive's fault when that happens.

The disk is still usable w/o the shutter.

Old 08-10-01, 11:02 AM
Swamprose
Visiting Guest
FLOPPY FIXED

Thanx for all the replies. Floppy is fixed, and the drive works fine now. Did a duplicate copy of the disk to be sure, and it worked find also. God bless all. Bye for now, Swamprose

Old 08-11-01, 05:32 PM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Best way to make sure this doesn't happen again... Use only 3M disks. Not that I haven't had a 3m fail but it is a lot more user friendly than the 100 for $9.95 at Wally World!

Old 08-12-01, 05:05 PM
Swamprose
Visiting Guest
Smile Floppy fixed

Hi all, Swamprose here. Back from my trip safe and sound thanks to our Good Lord above. The floppy which hung was the main Windows 3.1 disk, so I had no choice in that matter. Mostly, I use the 3M, for they do seem to be the best to copy on and always able to read, and never no reformat, which isn't unusable like some. Hope everyones weekend went great and all the days to come, and I sure know where to come back to for good advice. Until next time, Swamprose