Hey Wake up!

Old 08-09-01, 09:31 PM

Hi Everyone
I have developed a problem with MSGSRV32. I have my machine set to turn off monitor and hard drive after 15 mins of inactivity. Most times I just wiggle the rodent and it's alive. Sometimes you can wiggle in vain. Give it the three finger salute and get the Pop Box, and there it is MSGSRV32 not responding. So I end task and off we go again screen comes on and it works ok until I reboot and then it is just whenever it wants to quit responding again. Any Ideas? Thanks, Marturo

Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-01, 05:18 AM
BSB
Have you tried to uninstall msgsrv32 to see if the problem goes away? If it does, or you can uninstall with our repercussions, see if there is an upgrade for msgsrv32 and try again.

Brian

p.s what is msgsrv32?

Old 08-10-01, 11:30 AM
reinstall

Hi Brian
I ran SFC to see if it had been modified or deleted. No luck. How do I uninstall and reinstall? I have looked for, and found this file but could not open it to see if anything was wrong. Do I need this file Brian? After I end task I don't have any problems until I reboot and then it is back again. I never run a screen saver, So I chose the option of shut down after 15 mins. However I am open to any better ways, the machine is on 15 hours a day. Thanks Brian, Marturo

Old 08-10-01, 06:50 PM
The easiest way to test any file is to rename it. Try changing it to ?msgsrv32. The computer will try to find it and fail. If your computer doesn't work correctly change the name back. If it does run OK then just leave it and forget it.

According to its properties the file is a "Windows 32-bit VxD Message Server" If you want to know its real function visit TechNet at Microsoft.com.

Old 08-10-01, 10:34 PM
Hey wake up

Thanks Michael

That sounds like good advice. I'll give it a try. I don't remember this file being in the running programs box before this narcolepsy started with this energy saving settings. Will it shorten the life on the machine if I shut down the monitor manualy and leave the hard drive running as an option for when I am away from my station? Marturo

Old 08-11-01, 07:31 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
marturo, Here are a couple of links that may help. http://www.windows-help.net/windows98/troub-25.htm and http://support.microsoft.com/support.../9/87.asp?FR=1 One of these describes MSGSRV32 you should find help here. I do gather you don't want to delete this file. Have you tried turning off the monitor only in power management?.....Mike

Old 08-11-01, 11:03 PM
Hey wake up

Hi Mike

Thanks for the links. No I do not want to delete the file. I want to understand and fix it. Today was a hectic day. So I was off and on with one thunder storm where we unhooked and turned the power off. Do you mean have I tried a setting that would turn off the monitor and leave the hard drive running in the power saving program? Now somthing I tried today and I would like to know why it would work to help resolve the problem. I came inside to check the mails for new customers and I wiggled and nothing happened. I don't know why I did it , but I taped {ESC) click,and up comes the monitor up real fast, faster than Ctrl-Alt-Del and end task and in 25 seconds it will slowly let it wake up. I don't see what ESC would do other than maybe it ended task very quickly. Another intresting thing is MSGSRV32 is not in the shut down box. Just like the previous way of wake up, ESC has not failed to behave because I have not rebooted the machine today. I have tried SFC. Norton Utilities 2001,Sisoft Sandra, and every windows trouble shooter. I know the answer is simple in nature like many of the problems. What I now know, this is a file I want to keep, just because the program works when it has ended task does't mean I don't need it. Mike until I know what it is, and how it works I can't fix it. So thats what I will do tommorow hope it rains gives me time on the machine instead of picking Raspberries or diging Potatoes. Thank for the tips Mike, Miguel

Old 08-12-01, 04:13 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
I don't know about the escape thing but will try to wake mine up that way. What I meant is set the monitor to turn off but leave the hard drive running. This may help until you resovle this problem or it may hang this way also. If you follow all the steps at the MSKB link I bet you will find a cure. That would be stopping all running programs in msconfig except a. ScanRegistry
b. SystemTray
c. LoadPowerProfile (Usually twice)
d. TaskMonitor
Set screensaver to none. Reboot and let go to sleep and see if it will wake up. If it does enable the screensaver and repeat(no reboot needed here). If it wakes add items in msconfig back one at a time until machine won't wake. Theres a good chance your power management is clashing with Norton.....Let us know....Mike