Trying to load Win98

Old 08-17-01, 08:06 PM
Visiting Guest
First I'm trying to fix my W98 machine
PIII 800EB
DFI TA64-B mother board
458 megs of memory SDRAM
30 gig Seagate Hard drive
A NEC Croma-clear Multi Sync XV17+2 (Monitor)
Sony 10x/4x/32x cd rom
Radeon 64 meg Video card
A Open lan card 10/100 mg capable (Road Runner Cable Modem)
Sound Blaster 16 (I know it is a old card)
keyboard and mouse.
and before I switched to a 300 watt power supply everything was fine; the story first
I recently got a new tower with a 300 watt (the old was a 250 watt power supply) With the old 250 watt supply everything ran fine but the power supply fan was whinning and making sounds like it would die at any time.(Yes I cleaned it every 3 to 4 months) (the fan) So came the new tower with the 300 watt supply and then Windows 98 ran fine for about 2 hours and then I start getting fatal exception 0E @ 002:00t00465. I checked the mother board specks (and the power requirements looked fine) But after about 10 minutes of running windows it gave me the above errors. I thought no big deal then it happened all day long (everything worked fine during the 10 minutes) then the error.
Ok no big deal I formated C: and started from scratch everything was ok until after I input the the Windows serial number and then I would get exception From 0028:C18AF4B in Vxd. I thought it just did not like the video card So I put my old Millenium 200 video card and the same thing happened. I re-formated with the Millenium video card and the same thing. I then took out all extra cards and just left the video card in and the same thing happened I tried the Radeon card with the same results.
Could this be my windows cd dying or could it be something else. I hope to have some input because I'm going to buy Win 2000me and try again Monday.
If you need any further info please just ask

Curtis

Any help would be nice.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-01, 08:11 PM
Visiting Guest
My windows problem

P.S. I wrote this on a old toshiba 430CDT satellite pro laptop.

Old 08-17-01, 09:45 PM
http://www.techadvice.com/w98/errors/1/er_00001.htm

http://www.techadvice.com/w98/E/error_numeric.htm

check out the above 2 links, your system worked before, you have the same equipment , it should therefore work now.

I would have just replaced the fan or power supply instead of replacing the tower.

Check to make sure the fan on the cpu is working and heatsink/fan are mounted properly.

Old 08-18-01, 06:54 PM
Exclamation

I'm with dkerr, sounds like the fan or heat sink on the CPU is hooked up or working correctly.

Old 08-19-01, 04:17 AM
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the info everyone. It ended up being a memory problem. I'm not sure if one of my sims just went bad at a bad time or what. I removed all the memory but one 128meg strip and Windows loaded easy and quick. I insterted the other 64 meg strips until Windows messed up again and then I removed the last slim I put in. Every thing is working fine now. The CPU and heat sink were fine.