Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Index.dat files

08-19-01, 10:34 AM   #1  
I just went through the process of cleaning up my hard drive only to learn that everything internet related cleaned is still listed in index.dat file. I downloaded spiderbite will this clean the index.dat file? Or do I have to access dos?

I have seen a few sites that include information on adding steps in dos to always delete the index.dat. Is this the only way?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links

08-19-01, 04:33 PM   #2  
Member BSB recommends a program named spider. Try this forum or hints tips and tricks.

WI

08-20-01, 04:45 AM   #3  
yes, spyder will clean the index.dat files. 2000 has a slick way of cleaning them aswell if you are unsure if you want to intall a program to do it for you. you can also see a similar process at http://www.hardwarehell.com

Brian

08-20-01, 06:07 AM   #4  
Follow-up question

I did download spiderbite. But when I opened it, two programs were available, spider and spiderbite. Spiderbite couldn't run, so I ran spider. Spider showed me the list of files and I reviewed them. There was nothing I wanted deleted, so I ended there. If I wanted to delete anything, would one of the other options in Spider have done it for me?

Thanks again!

WI

08-20-01, 08:39 AM   #5  
Unfortunatly there is no way that I know of to selectivly delete index.dat internal files. when you run spyder (syderbite is only used by spyder) you click on the ambulance icon after decide if you want to delete the dat info, will tell you the spider has bitten, do you want to restart.

brian

08-20-01, 09:11 AM   #6  
Thanks Again!!

Search this Thread