Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

MSN messenger

08-20-01, 06:12 AM   #1  
I'm still working to clean up my laptop and have come across another concern. MSN messenger was installed and I have used it a few times. How do I get rid of all IM messages and how do I get rid of the MSN Messenger program?

Would Spider Bite remove the instant messages? Or would there be a file created somewhere that I should delete?

How would I remove the MSN messenger program and the icon that appear in the bottom right tool bar (by the clock)?

Again I thank you all for your help!

BGH

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

08-20-01, 10:23 AM   #2  
mikejmerritt
BGH, I know a few things that may help but I don't know where all lurks. First, set to show all files by Start, Explore, View tab, Folder Options, View tab, under Files and Folders choose Show All Files. This would show the Recent folder in Exlporer in C:\WINDOWS\Recent. Delete from Recent as needed. Remove IM in Control Panel Add/Remove. Sometimes an uninstalled program will still appear in Add/Remove and if thats the case after a restart get back. Scan and delete all or as needed in the Temp Folder and the TIF's and if you can, delete them all in both. Take a look in the Cookie folder in C:\WINDOWS\Cookies. Do a search on your system for MSN and other keywords to see what may still be around but don't assume all MSN files are IM. Turn off AutoComplete in Internet Properties and on the General tab while there clear the History and set Days to Keep Pages in History to 0. These settings are why there is no History, you know, saving disk space and speeding up the machine....Right. By all means empty the Recycle Bin. This leads me to bad news about the RB and where things go when emptied. Things don't leave the HD until pushed off the end by incoming data. When a file is purged from the RB all that happens is the first letter of the filename is changed so that it is no longer valid. Point is there are simple ways to pull deleted files up. You might check MSKB for an undeleting utility so you can see yourself what is still there. The link I had for this tool has been moved like MS so often does. This should keep you busy for a while and again I'm sure this isn't all there is......Mike

Search this Thread