Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

DRIVE D BLUES?

PA

08-20-01, 05:09 PM   #1  
Hello everyone: I was scanning with norton anti virus2001 and everything was going along smooth UNTIL I wanted to Scan DRIVE D and this is the message I got> UNABLE TO ACCESS DRIVE D
DRIVE IS LOCKED BY A DISK UTILITY, TRY TO SCAN LATER WHEN DISK IS NO LONGER
LOCKED! I closed ALL programs and even disabled auto scan and still no luck! I have NO hidden Programs that i know of! I only have a printer hooked up to pc. Can anyone help me with this problem? Thank You TOM

Sponsored Links

08-21-01, 07:32 AM   #2  
If applicable to your OS enter "unlock d:" [minus quotes] at the MSDOS command prompt. The message: "Locking operation failed" means that the problem cannot be solved with DOS. It's a Windoze problem that must be ferreted.

Test the persistancy of the problem: shut down, turn the computer off, then on, boot to Windows. Open My Computer >right click drive d >properties. A locked drive: Capacity "0 bytes".

If applicable check autoexec.bat [and called batch files within for "lock d:" or a called program - REM them out] or a game that runs on startup.

Sample REMing
c:\autoexec.bat
---------
blah
lock d:
call xxxx
blah

REMed
---------
blah
rem lock d:
rem call xxxx
blah

Occurs during session; if applicable: check DOSSTART.bat, and custom config.sys autoexec.bats' created for vitural MSDOS sessions to make DOS programs run. Next on the hit list Windows games - try accessing drive d: with each game open [one by one]. Then Web Browser settings + vistied sites. And onward...trace your steps backward. A locked drive IS NOT a phantom or random occurrence.

PA

08-21-01, 10:20 AM   #3  
This is my Drive D Space?

Hi 2000: i just took a picture of DRIVE D and it shows it FULL! I don't know how that could be, I put very little on this PC since I bought it 4 months ago! Is there any way to make more room on the disk (maybe that why its considered Locked, What do you think? Before I do any thing that you instructed, I will wait until I hear from you about this full disk business! Thanks TOM PS: I wanted to attach a Picture of the DRIVE D but I can not put an attachment on this E- mail

08-21-01, 09:21 PM   #4  
Tom, a picture is not required. I understand English.

A full disk and a locked disk are two different things. One more time: open My Computer >right click drive d >click Explore. If you receive a file system error the disk is probably locked. You can validate this on your own if the error is not reported by leaving My Computer open and entering "echo y | lock d:" or simply "lock d:" then respond y at the MSDOS command prompt. Then repeat the above steps. Enter "unlock d:" to undo. Your computer will not explode, nor will any harm be done.

If the disk is full the only number on the properties applet that should be zero or nearly zero is disk free
space. Used space should approach the capacity number. If the numbers are zero the disk is locked. Furthermore the disk compression tab will be unavailable on a locked disk. You either have access to the disk with Explore or you don't...full or not.

Another way to validate if the drive is locked or not is attempt to run scandisk: at the MSDOS prompt enter "scandisk d:" or "scandskw d:" (The first is the DOS command, the other is the Windows version). (scandisk invokes "calls" scandskw in a WinDOS session).

The reasons I suggested using DOS are (1) it's the easiest fix - if it works. (2) With DOS you can access a locked drive 99% of the time (create, delete, or list files, and a host of other things). The 1% exclusion is difficult to explain. Basically drive locking is a network thing. You have a network (ie: network neighborhood - access to the Internet and other computers).

If the disk is full you can compress the drive. Speaking for myself, I would not do so until (1) I had unrestricted access (2) verified that the disk was full (3) laid waste to junk files (4) scanned for viruses (5) and knew what I was storing and why. Then there is the point of wether or not your virus software is compatible with compressed drives. Some are and some aren't. I don't know if Norton2001 is or isn't. Nor do I know wether or not N-2001 requires free disk space on the scanned drive for temporary storage. (Peter Norton has been programming for a long time. I don't think he would tolerate a minuscule tactic like that, but, you never know).

The Partition size relates to the size of the file allocation unit for storage. In turn that relates to how fast a disk will fill up, depending on the types of files stored (where some file types relate to their size in general).

For example, if the allocation unit is 8K, a zero byte file (completely empty - exists for its namesake only or is used as a marker for other files) requires just as much space (1 8K unit) as any other file from 1 byte to 8K bytes in size. The same is true of a 2K unit or a 64K unit of storage. Estimating how you will use disk space is just like any other type of storage planning (how big is it; how can I store it efficiently, and how often do I need access). If vital information is stored on a compressed drive and something goes wrong...it may require sophisticated software to extract that information.

Back to DOS: at the MSDOS prompt enter the following.
[Enter] is the Enter function key and not a part of the command.

d: [Enter]

dir ' [Enter]

Probable error message: File not found - ignore it. Look at "free bytes". If the disk is full the number will
approach zero.

If the number is greater than zero, test if an allocation unit exists and if the disk is writeable. Type the commands exactly as shown...including the quotes.

Create a uniquely named zero byte file.

rem >"+" [Enter]

Verify file creation - thus a writeable allocation unit.

dir "+" [Enter]

Test if the disk is readable - delete the file

del "+" [Enter]

Summary: disk is read and writeable, has allocation units available, and "unlock d:" did not solve the problem - it's a problem on the Windoze side (software), User Error, or remotely a hardware problem.

PA

08-22-01, 03:39 AM   #5  
Drive D Blues

2000: I got as far as opening My Computer and going to EXPLORE D Drive and after clicking Explore a screen came up and said> D:\IS NOT AVAILABLE>THIS DEVICE IS NOT READY> RETRY OR CANCEL!

08-22-01, 08:56 PM   #6  
Whats next depends on you. So far you haven't said what D: is (hard disk, CD, etc.). You can try DOS access or you could go to Start >settings >control panel >system >device manager and check for conflicts, or you could try Nortons Rescue Disk, or try swapping SYSTEM.1ST for SYSTEM.DAT, (after making a copy of SYSTEM.DAT) or reinstall the OS and programs as so many people do.

If you can't access D: with DOS, it may be a hardware problem. It could also be a software problem. If you're not willing to try...well!

Visiting Guest

08-25-01, 08:17 PM   #7  
chetmichaels
mebbe d: isnt fat16 or 32 and windowz cant recognize it...

PA

08-26-01, 03:42 AM   #8  
Drive D

Your statement,2000: What Drive is it, got me searching! Was especially wondering Why it was not being recognized (Chetmichals mentioned) even in Safe Mode! BECAUSE it seems its a Drive for the CD ROM and is not needed to scan. I did not know this at the beginning, could have saved everyone grief had I known! Any way I will keep your instructions for future use when I really do have to scan a REAL DRIVE D. At least this is the good way of learning things.THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP, TOM

Search this Thread