Deleting File in Word pad?

Old 08-22-01, 12:00 PM
Hello everyone: I went through the correct channels in REGEDIT to delete only ONE FILE in Word Pad from the drop down menu using the HKEY_CURRENT_USER/ ETC,ETC! I just clicked on the one file to delete, but when I returned to Word Pad All 4 files were deleted! I don't understand how this happened, I am sure I only Highlighted the one and I had 4 in there. Well, any way WILL this happpen everytime I do this or was this just some unknown mistake that i made? ALSO is there anyway to retrieve the deletions? Please let me know, Thank You TOM";

Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-01, 02:00 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
tomtom59, This happens sometimes when you edit lists in the registry such as the dropdown box in IE. Seems that the registry has these things in some order and when you delete one it throws all out of whack. Scary huh. I don't remember what OS you have but if Win98 or later(don't know about 95) you could do a scanreg restore. ME just GoBack. Restart in MS-DOS, at the C:\windows prompt type CD.. and press enter. At the C:\> type scanreg/restore and press enter. You should be presented with 4 dates to send the system back to. This works well if you havn't loaded much since the date you choose.....Mike

Old 08-22-01, 04:36 PM
Thank You

Thank you,Mike I will try it tomorrow and let you know how it worked out. I will print out the instructions you gave! TOM

Old 08-22-01, 08:29 PM
Mike is on track!

HKEY_CURRENT_USER/blah, blah. If File1 is deleted File2 to File4 must be renamed in sequential order: File1, File2, File3. If this is not done a new instance of Wordpad will not show recently opened files. If File3 is deleted File4 must be renamed to File3. Otherwise File4 is obscured. There are a few exceptions to the former. But when and if Windows reads the Registry the data must be in the expected place and in the expected order.

Old 08-23-01, 04:01 AM
Thank You for info

Thank You 2000, for this information. it sort of confusing at first but I think I got it! I got a one track mind (what's left of it) TOM

Old 08-23-01, 05:00 AM
BSB
Its also good pratice to rename a copy of your registry with an .old (or what you want) extension, just incase you have rebooted more times then the restore keeps back logs off. I think it stores the last 4 reboot registries, so if you reboot 10 times in 40 minutes your restores will be the same for all dates listed. I think, could be wrong, but not sure.

brian

Old 08-23-01, 05:14 AM
Deleting Wordpad

I think you are right too Brian! I heard that before, Thanks, TOM

Old 08-23-01, 08:44 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Good Thoughts BSB!!!

After working with regular members here sometimes I forget that for every poster here at DIY there are four score who read and don't interact. Come on folks lets get this PC forum moving! I work in forums that get over a hundred posts a day and it keeps us on our toes. Back to the subject, anyone fooling around in the registry should backup although there is a permanent copy of the registry stored away in Windows that allows all of us hacks to restore at any time beyond the scanreg.exe restore as long as you can boot from a floppy. At any time if someone gets into a situation that worries them click Start, Run, type scanreg and OK, you will be asked to back up the registry if it hasn't been done today, choose Yes and you have a new copy of at least the current configuration. What I do is Start, Run, type regedit and in the File menu choose Export Registry. Send it to the Desktop so you know where it is. From here a CD burner is handy, export the registry to CD. I fool around to much here and there like the time I deleted MS Family Logon attempting to find an answer for a DIY member. That trashed my system beyond belief. I booted in Safe Mode, Imported my desktop registry back up and was back at it in minutes. ME owners just think GoBack is new! Without looking I think Win98 keeps a reg backup for 5 days by default and that can be increased by as many days as someone wants given HD space. If you have big problems for four days I suggest a reg backup if you know what I mean.....Mike

Old 08-24-01, 04:01 AM
Exporting Registry

Thanks Mike, I was at that exact spot yesterday where i had a choice to Export registry! I didn't know how, until i saw your Post (here)Thank you for that knowledge.I was just given heck for going near the registry, They trembled at the thought and said i shouldn't fool around there! WELL, I don't fool around, too many people wait until its to late to find things out, then they panic. Anyway back to post> Question= Microsoft has 5 back ups on 98SE, IF a person backs up the registry every week or month (whatever) Will they keep adding up and taking up space( in other words go from 5 to 6 to 7 etc. Or will the pc destroy old one when you make a new one and only keep 5 at any one time? hope this isn't a silly question but as you said, it does take up space. TOM

Old 08-24-01, 05:39 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Assuming 5 is default and I think it is plus the original configuration makes 6. If you add a backup without deleting the previous one sure they will add up in time. At average 5 MB each they do take up some space. There may be reasons to keep the backups you make every time but I don't keep them. I send one to the desktop weekly as regbkup1 and the next week as regbkup2 and when all is well I delete #1, reverse next week. About once a month I send a good working copy to CD. This is good practice because the registry contains info like passwords, various keycodes, your Windows codes and any updates, cookies that prove you paid say $3.00 to be a member somewhere and after a crash you don't have to jump through hoops to log back on to the members area of a site. People think playing around in regedit is bad but think nothing of doing a new download that changes or adds hundreds of lines at a time. Go figure. I know many here must remember the Grape Ape incident. Its a must that I be ready with current backups because as I said I will try almost anything with my machine sometimes just to find out what happens. Check here for regisrty info http://www.pcnineoneone.com/howto/regback1.html

Old 08-24-01, 01:57 PM
Merge

I just put registry backup on Desktop,everything is OK! I just gotta ask this one Question> I noticed when I clicked on the Icon, IT said MERGE Instead of OPEN! I am curious WHY? Thank You, TOM

Old 08-24-01, 06:00 PM
The file type association is set to merge instead of edit. For how to define associations and/or change actions consult Windows Help (on the Start Menu) enter "file types".

Old 08-25-01, 03:38 AM
merging

Thanks, 2000: Will DO!

Search this Thread