Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Backing up Harddrive

PA

08-27-01, 05:10 AM   #1  
Hello Everyone: How does a person BACK UP HIS HARDDRIVE To a SAFE LOCATION, and what does he need to do it? Please, go Slow I made my Coffee too weak this morning and the wheels aren't cranking up yet! TOM

Sponsored Links

WI

08-27-01, 12:01 PM   #2  
I can think of 3 ways to back up your hard drive.
1. Zip disks- using iomagic 250Mb zip drive and disks. Or super 3.5 floppy (uses 120Mb disks), or Castlewood Orb drive(uses 2.0Gb disks)

2. Tape backup, requires tape cartridge and drive. available in wide range of sizes, most popular.

3. For a more extreme backup you can get a second drive the same size and convert it to removable and use ghost and make an image of it. this makes a 100% usable duplicate of your hard drive. But takes a little while.

With 1 and 2 you can do incrementel backups- backs up only changes made to the file structure since the last full back up. Your best bet is with 1 or 2. I have an orb drive and love it, but have never had a zip drive, but from what I hear from others with zips, they are prone to error. The only problems I have had with the Orb drive are self inflicted.

Brian

p.s. forgot something.... To back up your data you need a backup program, either on that comes with the drive you purchase or MS backup that is on your OS CD. run the program, select the type of back up, select the files (if other then full backup) and then select the location. I think you can backup to a second hard drive, but not sure if i am remembering correctly. when the back up is complete it is saved as a catologe file (.cat for ms, other programs use diff names). When you wish to restore, run the back up program and select restore, it will scan the catalogs, select the correct catalog, the files you with to restore and click restore. Be warned though, if you choose to restore in the same location you will loose all info in the selected folders since the last backup.

Brian

PA

08-27-01, 01:43 PM   #3  
Backup Hardrives!

Thanks, Brian: I did not know there was a Super Floppy! I am in the process of getting a CDRW 8x?x? Will that be OK to use and can everything fit on one 650mb disk? I had this PC only 8 months (New)! So I don't think there is much stored on it! I was into Drive C and it showed less than a Quarter of it used up! Don't know if this means much or not but let me know what you think OK, Thanks TOM

IL

08-27-01, 06:35 PM   #4  
A program I use at work is from Symantec called Ghost. It will create a perfect bit for bit back up of a hard drive on to CDRW. It usually takes 3 for 4 disks. Its kind of tricky at first but overall it works great. This programs will also work with the second hard drive method or over a home network from one computer to another. This program is also great for cloning computers.

PA

08-27-01, 06:51 PM   #5  
is it freeware?

Hi Mike: I really want to do it on CDRW disks, Thanks for the tip. by the way is that Ghost a freeware Program or does it cost much? Do you have a download Site? TOM

Visiting Guest

08-28-01, 04:49 AM   #6  
mikejmerritt
http://ghosting.netfirms.com/ I don't know if you can get it here but there is a lot to be learned here from DEK......Mike

PA

08-28-01, 04:56 AM   #7  
Ghost!

Thanks, Mike: I will look into that site and let you know how i make out. TOM

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

08-28-01, 07:24 AM   #8  
CD-RW Backup

I use HP CD=RW drives. They come with an easy-to-use backup utility that you may want to look at.

PA

08-28-01, 09:53 AM   #9  
Hard Drive backup?

yes, I heard HP CDRW'S were a good brand. Most likely I'll be getting one,Thanks George, TOM

PA

08-28-01, 10:58 AM   #10  
help?

Can someone tell me how to find out what is running in the backgroun of my pc for the last half hour? I have norton AV and Get right downloader but i can not see where it is anyone of them! i just don't know, Any ideas to help me, Thanks, TOM

Visiting Guest

08-28-01, 04:03 PM   #11  
bigmike
<ctrl/alt/del> at the same time will tell you what is running at this time. Be VERY careful with Norton utilities. They can be a godsend or your worse nightmare! Learn how to determine and interpret what your system is doing intstead of relying on a 3rd party extension. You save memory, drive space etc. But I realize that this is not always an option. To busy, life etc. stops us from learning what we need to know to keep these pieces of high priced junk working...

PA

08-28-01, 04:34 PM   #12  
Help via. Harddrive backup

That the first thing I did Mike, I did not see anything Unusual, except who know's what Chkras,Slights, and Rnaap are in CTRL+ALT+DEL! But I tend to think it was Norton AV doing it. It went on for an hour and I shut it down for awhile and when I came back it was gone! I guess I got a little Paranoid and thought it would never stop. Well anyway I'll look into that Ghost Site you gave me and get back to you, Thanks TOM

IL

08-28-01, 05:45 PM   #13  
snip
<<Hi Mike: I really want to do it on CDRW disks, Thanks for the tip. by the way is that Ghost a freeware Program or does it cost much? Do you have a download Site? >>

No its not a freeware program. It is part of Symantec's corporate suite. This is the same company that makes the Norton Utilities. In fact, the progam is offically, Norton Ghost Enterprise 7.1. I only buy it in bulk at about $17 per machine. I don't know how much a stand alone version is. Their website has it for 69.95 but I think I've seen it for less through websites and catalog distributers.

PA

08-28-01, 06:17 PM   #14  
Originally posted by mrhoadar
snip
<<Hi Mike: I really want to do it on CDRW disks, Thanks for the tip. by the way is that Ghost a freeware Program or does it cost much? Do you have a download Site? >>

No its not a freeware program. It is part of Symantec's corporate suite. This is the same company that makes the Norton Utilities. In fact, the progam is offically, Norton Ghost Enterprise 7.1. I only buy it in bulk at about $17 per machine. I don't know how much a stand alone version is. Their website has it for 69.95 but I think I've seen it for less through websites and catalog distributers.
$69.95, Isn't there a handle on this thing that I can Crank instead?

Search this Thread