Browser connection intermittent

Old 08-30-01, 06:28 PM
Tommg
Visiting Guest
My browser's conection to the internet seems to be intermittent about half of the time I am using it. I have upgraded, repaired, used the connection wizard, and re-installed IE and have also installed NeoPlanet browser, and switched them back and forth as my default browser all to no avail. I have even installed my ISP's (Road Runner) proprietary version of IE. It is very odd since there is never a problem manually sending/receiving on Outlook Express. If I send/receive OE, my connection immediately checks all mail accounts, so I know a connection is present even when IE is lethargic. It doesn't help to refresh, re-click a link, or use the "Go" button.

I am using a home network (Intel Anypoint USB 10Mbps / MS Client Networking), but the problem only occurs on the server CPU so that shouldn't matter.

I don't think it is due to internet lag because when this occurs, the new URL doesn't appear in the address bar. Any advice?

Thanks!
Tom

Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-01, 04:48 AM
BSB
Does this happen through out the day, or only during certain time? Road Runner is dsl or cable? have you ran a tracert from dos prompt do see if you are getting bottle necked at a router? I dont know much about cable, but as far as dsl goes, there are atleast 3 way-points your signal passes on its way to the internet. (they are pedastal, mini-ram (if you are far enough from the dslam) dslam, RT and then CO) each of these spots has a card or in the case of the RT and co a few cards, switches and transceiver.

I would call RR and place a trouble call with them letting them know you are having problems.

G'luck

Brian

Old 08-31-01, 04:58 AM
Tommg
Visiting Guest
Thanks Brian:

It occurs throuout the day. RR is cable; the data light on the modem doesn't flash when my browser is slow, but it does when I manually check my mail, so my guess is that it is a software or settings problem. I have talked to RoadRunner several times, and my connection always seems to be viable. I'm not sure what a "tracert from dos" is or how I initiate it.

Tom

Old 08-31-01, 08:59 AM
BSB
tracert is pretty simple, (its short for trace route) go to a dos window; type in tracert http://www.anywebsite.com(.net,.org). I will show you how many hops (routers) and how long each one takes to forward the packet to the next destination. You can even send a tracert to your mail server to get an idea of what kind of speed you are looking at. Anything over 150+ms and you will start to notice lag time.

Back in my youth (last year) when I was playing asherons call, there was a router in cali that everyone from the east coast seemed to use was bottlenecking up 3450ms delay.

When you tracert to road runner, (your isp server) you should be looking at less then 32ms. With cable I would say at least as low as 16ms. If you find the router that is slow in responding you may be able to get RR to contact the owners and have them check it out.

Brian

Old 08-31-01, 11:36 AM
Tommg
Visiting Guest
Brian:

This is a bit over my head, but I ran tracert with the response: "Tracing route over a maximum of 30 hops". Each time I ran tracert, it listed 15 rows of three columns. The column numbers varied as follows:

First column: 15 - 68 (52 average)
Second column: 10 - 67 (43 average)
Third column: 11 - 66 (50 average)

Does any of this make any sense?

Old 09-01-01, 10:10 AM
BSB
Man, them are pretty slow thruoghput times for being on a cable connection. that was a rough average for all 15 hops?

(30 hops is maximum routers tracert will intersect on its way to a destination, 15 is the total number you encountered for your destination.)

With a cable connection I would expect to see those numbers down around 16ms for the first couple of hops. the first one for sure, since the first router is more then likely connected directly to the server you log into.

I would keep calling RR letting them know you are getting intermitten connections, and keep timming out when pulling web pages. You might finaly get ahold of someone who finds the problem.

I know that the tarrifs for dsl is a min down stream of 256k with a max down stream of 1.5k (for BS any how)and an upstream of 256k.

Have you ran any speed tests? if not go to http://www.dslreports.com and run their speed test, and also check out http://www.speedtest.mybc.com and run their speed test. If you know of any others run them aswell, then call RR and find out what their minimum acceptible speed is. If your speed tests are lower then their rates tell em your speed is unacceptable. And they need to get someone to fix the problem.

Also at dslreports they have help sections on optimizing your connection and system settings. If they send a service man out and its in your system they can charge you, but if its in their equipment I "dont think" they can charge you. but make sure you ask first.

Brian

Old 09-02-01, 06:14 AM
Tommg
Visiting Guest
Brian:

Since I dont have a problem with Outlook Express, I keep thinking it is a matter of settings, so I will definitely check out the sites you suggested. I have done speed tests and I am getting anywhere from 500-800 kbps when the darn thing works!

Thanks for all your advice,

Tom

Old 09-20-01, 11:15 AM
Tommg
Visiting Guest
Eureka!! Problem solved

In case anyone has this problem and searches the archives, the problem was solved by adding manual TCP/IP address and subnet mask to the TCP/IP associated with the network hardware, in my case, USB based Intel Anypoint. This was done on the Server and client pc's, be advised that each pc on the network needs a different IP address.

I hope this helps someone!
Tom