Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Serial Port (Com 1) to P/S 2

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

09-07-01, 05:23 AM   #1  
My wife just bought me a new mouse that I really wanted. The only problem is it is for a P/S2 port and all that I have is a serial port (COM1) for my mouse. Is there any adapter out for this problem? I have seen some mouses that come with an adapter that say on them that they are serial/ps2. I have tried those adapters and it still won`t work. I`m not sure if it can be done. Any information would be greatly appreciated,
Thank-You
robertslasvegas

Sponsored Links

WI

09-07-01, 07:54 AM   #2  
should be no problem finding an adapter, my track ball came with a serial to ps/2 adapter that I had no problems using. If you get a ps/2 to serial (not sure if it realy matter, but it might, kinda like ser to parr) adapter I may not work, wires may cross connect differently from one conversion to the other.

Brian

IL

09-07-01, 05:14 PM   #3  
BSD is right the adapter will work great and they are easily available and not to expensive 3-5 dollars. If there is some reason you need to use you Com port for something else, like a modem or digital camera, you can also buy an expansion card with PS/2 ports but these are not so easy to find and usually requires some time searching on the Internet.

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

09-08-01, 12:10 AM   #4  
First off, I would like too thank both Brian and Mrhoadar for your quick replys. I am a new member but have been at other sites similar to this one and it`s probably a week or so before anyone responds. I think I will like this site and again Thank-you. Next, my neighbor has a trackball that is serial/PS2, and I have used it on my computer and it worked great. The new mouse I have is an optical mouse but says it is only a PS/2. I have bought 2 of the cheaper serial/PS2 mouses just for the adapters alone, but still have no luck. I have tried it (my new mouse) on my neighbors computer, and it worked fine. But he has a PS/2 port. I have called most every computer store in this town and they tell me about the adapter I have already tried. I have started searching for the expansion card that Mrhoadar mentioned. Is there a different adapter than the one I have been trying to use? I will keep looking. Again, Thank-You both! You have given me more knowledge and advice than any of the stores I have talked to...

Dave Roberts

Visiting Guest

09-08-01, 04:57 AM   #5  
Gary Tait
The thing with thoes adapters is that they are a pin
adapter, which adapts the pins on a PS/2 mouse to plug
into a serial port, simple as that, it does no PS/2
to serial conversion. For such an adapter to work, the
mouse must be PS/2 and serial aware, as it figures
if it is connected to a PS/2 or serial port, and
spits out the data in the appropriate format.

IL

09-08-01, 03:41 PM   #6  
Oh, what a difference a couple of years makes. I couldn't find any PS/2 expansion cards either. They were plentiful enough back when the AT motherboards were still being produced. If you still want one your best bet will be to find a used computer dealer in your area and see what they can scrounge up.

Another solution may be to buy a USB expansion card which are still available. You can then get a USB to PS/2 adapter that may take care of your problem. I have had to do this for a Remote Point wireless mouse running on Windows 2000. It wouldn't work plugged into the PS/2 port with W2k, go figure. You might want to buy the adapter first and test it on a friends computer before buying the card.

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

09-08-01, 05:33 PM   #7  
THIS SITE IS "BY FAR" THE BEST

Gary, Thank-you for your post to my question. I am still fairly new to the computer. Being almost 40, my wife and I bought our first computer (used) a year ago from my brother and I am still learning. "But I am no Dummy", I can tell when someone knows what they are talking about. And I wish that one of these stores in Las Vegas would have simply told me what you have told me. It would have saved me alot of headaches. Thank-You"

Mrhoadar, You also amaze me. You too, I feel knows what is. But also, to come back, check and post another reply, (not to mention I just posted my question this morning) It is people like you and all that helped me, make a site like this what it is supposed to be and more! You are the one that gave me hope. I know I said I was no Dummy, but I did not know they made a USB expansion card, it shows you how i know about computers. As soon as I am done here, I am on my way to buy one. Again, "Thank-you"

I have another small question that I`m gonna post in a new post, would love to hear all who answered their opinion.

Search this Thread