Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

CD re-writer help

Visiting Guest

09-08-01, 06:55 AM   #1  
BuzzKutts-Revenge
I have an older comp. Gateway P-5 200mmx and I have bought a CD rewriter( phillips internal ide 8x4x32) I have installed it but I couldn't figure out how I can keep my old cdrom. There it looks like there is only enough room on the mother board for 3 drives my 3.5, CD , and HD. Is there something I am missing? I was getting another HD to add to what I have so what do I need to do?

Sponsored Links

CANADA

09-08-01, 08:21 AM   #2  
Most all computers have a primary and secondary IDE connector/controller on the motherboard, you may have a master and a slave device connected to each IDE controller. You get a IDE cable that has 3 connectors on the ribbon cable , one connector plugs into the controller connector of the motherboard and the other connectors on the ribbon cable one goes to one IDE device and the other othe rconenctor goes to the 2nd IDe device. Now on the IDe devices themselves (hard drive, cd rom or cdr) there should be some small jumpers on the rear of the device, one device must have the jumper set to master and the 2nd device must have its jumper set to slave. On each controller you can only have 1 master device and 1 slave device. Since you should have a primary and secondary controller , you should be able to connect up to 4 IDE devices. The only thing is that the C hard drive must be the master on the primary IDE controller, everything else is up for grabs and variation as long as no more than 1 master and 1 slave is on each controller. You may additonal Y power connectors if you run our of the power connectors.

The floppy controller is a separate connector on the mother board.

Visiting Guest

09-08-01, 09:15 AM   #3  
BuzzKutts-Revenge
That sounds great, thanks for the advice. I will post how it worked out.

Visiting Guest

09-09-01, 12:00 PM   #4  
BuzzKutts-Revenge
That worked and everything checks out. But the new CDr does not have any sound. Any advice on that.

CANADA

09-09-01, 05:18 PM   #5  
To play audio cd's , there is wire that goes directly from the cd player to the sound card. Most cd players have a audio connector on the back of the cd or cdr. The problem is that there is usually only one audio conenction on the sound card, and therefore usually only 1 cd player can be hooked up to it which I assume is you regular cd player, your new cdr does not have an audio cable hooked up the sound card so therefore you cannot hear any sound when playing regular audio cd's. You can still burn audio cd's on the cdr, just have to remove the finished cd and play it on the other player. You can play mp3 on either cd or cdr as that is a data file and travels on the ribbon cable to the computer for processing but audio cd's play thru the audio wire to the sound card.

Visiting Guest

09-09-01, 05:47 PM   #6  
BuzzKutts-Revenge
I can live with that. Thanks alot for your help. Mayby someday I can return the favor.

Search this Thread