Used Hard drive.

Old 09-09-01, 05:50 PM
BuzzKutts-Revenge
Visiting Guest
Question

What do I need to do to install a used HD that I got off EBAY?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-01, 12:31 AM
BSB
power, ide cable, screws, and a spare slot.

If it was sold as working, install it, plug it in and run fdisk from a floppy boot disk. You can take your old one off line while you do this test so you dont get the two mixed up. Once you check the hd out, and find that its in working order, then just format it, connect all drives, boot into windows, will be ready to go.

Brian

Old 09-10-01, 06:41 AM
BuzzKutts-Revenge
Visiting Guest
I sorry but I don't know what fdisk is. Other than that I think I can handle the rest. Thanks

Old 09-10-01, 03:51 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
BuzzKutts-Revenge, This is well put by my friend Toni and I have nothing to add... FORMAT ONLY..FIRST RULE: BE PREPARED AHEAD OF TIME

Do you have a bootdisk that gives you access to the cdrom in order to reinstall if your version comes on CD? If not, then follow the directions below

Go to http://www.bootdisk.com and download the version that goes with your version windows. Unzip this file to a folder by itself and then follow the readme file instructions on how to create the bootdisk you need to give you cdrom support. It's very simple to do... I would suggest that you print this ahead of time so it is handy. Formatting the drive and how long it takes to do it will depend on the size of your harddrive itself. Installation of Windows will take about 30-40 minutes, and then the fun begins with reinstalling your stuff. LOL

Have your hardware installation disks handy for anything that windows doesn't have drivers for and can't install for you...so go into Device Manager and click the plus mark in front of your hardware to get the manufacturer and model numbers of what you have. Then go to http://www.windrivers.com and click the Advanced Search on the left...look alphabetically for your manufacturers and then download the newest drivers for your hardware ahead of time.

Have your older version windows installation disks handy if your Windows is an upgrade because you will need proof during the installation that you are eligible for the upgrade and have your product key code (ID) # handy so you can enter that information also during the installation.
If you have W98 or W-ME you will need the Product CODE key...windows 95 needs the Product ID number for the installation. This information can be found by going to RUN type REGEDIT, click the plus in front of the following:
HEKY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows and now click the words Current Version. Scroll on the right side and write down the information you need for your operating system version. This assumes you haven't already formatted the drive....if you have, then the Registry won't be available to you.

FORMAT (fdisk)

Boot up with your boot disk and enable cdrom support when W98 asks you...otherwise cdrom support will automatically appear if you used a boot disk that you downloaded or created yourself. Keep an eye on the screen to see which drive letter has been assigned because it won't be the same one you had in Windows before, and then change to that drive letter. Make sure you can access the cdrom with that disk by changing to the cdrom drive with a cd in the drive and type DIR at the cdrom prompt...if it shows you the list of files on the cd, you are good to go so change back to the A: prompt.

At the A: prompt, type FORMAT C: /S to get the boot drive ready to receive data. If you have already formatted the drive, then at the A: prompt type SYS C: instead.

Now if you have enabled the cdrom support, you can change to the cdrom drive ( so as it is loading, watch for which drive letter it has assigned), and put your Windows installation cd into the drive and type SETUP....the installation will begin.

TONI

Search this Thread