Windows problem: Need help!

Old 09-14-01, 11:50 AM
Visiting Guest
Angry

Running Win ME, Internet explorer 6.0, @home.com
SOMEHOW I have managed to screw up what problem opens my e-mail attachments sent to me. This included both text and other (photos) I use Outlook Express for e-mail.
How do I chnage back to whatever would have been the right setting (programs) to open my attachments? Have no idea what program it was, just know I have somehow messed it up and now PhotoShop program is attempting, & failing to open my attachments.

PLEASE, have called @home service, was told it is a "windows" problem, not theirs and would not help me.
Have tried to go to Windows website, but can't find anything there either, nor at Outlook Express website.
I hesitate to do anything more without asssitance for fear I will screw this up even more.

Would appreciate any help!! Thank You!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-01, 03:16 AM
As far as I know attachments to e-mail in outlook are treated just like files on the hard drive. If the file extension is correct (.bmp for pictures say) then you should be able to open an attachment from e-mail. Try saving an attached file to your desktop and then double click it to see if it opens.

I suspect that one of two things is happening.
1. the files your recieving may not have correct file extensions for the applications you want to use. The sender may be altering them, the e-mail system may be truncating the file name, or the sender is using a different program than you are. The only quick fix is to open the application you want first and then drag the attachment into the applicaiton window.

2. You've installed a program that has taken over file extensions used by other programs. (Real player and Quicktime are notorious for this.) To check this open and Explorer window (double click my Computer) click on View, Click on Folder Options, click on File Types, and then comes the fun part of reading to see if they were changed. Option B is to simply reinstall the program you want to control the file types you want to use.

Old 09-15-01, 03:20 AM
manor631
Visiting Guest
Iam do not know much about win me,
but I think their is a way to recover your last settings.
I would look for a restore. I would go to help and type in restore.

Old 09-15-01, 04:55 PM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool IE6

mrhoadar is right but if for some reason his advice doesn't work (remember we are dealing with Windoze here) I can right click on the attachment and select <Open With> and a selection will come up asking you what you want to use to open pic attachments etc. I used Exlporer 6.0 until I installed Outlook 2002 (w/Office XP Pro). So the selections are even greater with this software but IE6 should do the job for you.