System error

Old 09-15-01, 03:31 AM
manor631
Visiting Guest
Hello,
Compaq 4505
166mhz
Was running win95. I was having various problems with the machine.
Descided to format and install win98se.
After format and first boot to the hard drive, i got an error.
c:\WINDOWS\system|vmm32.vxd Says, could not load file, it is missing or invalid.
Went in safe mode and the file does exist. about 908kb
What should I do??
Reformat and reinstall??
Can I delete that file in safe mode and install it from another computer????
Thanks
P.S. when it boots it prompts me.
From the hard drive or the cdrom?????

Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-01, 08:09 AM
BSB
My experience with compaq ( have a better name for em, but will keep it to myself) is that you have to use the recovery disk and OS that comes on this disk. If you try to upgrade you will run into problems. Compaq is proprietary and the MOBO needs the files and drivers contained on that recovery disk. Upgrading to 98se is not an option unless you have a recovery disk for that machine that has the 98se OS on it.

sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Brian

p.s. I could however be wrong, there always is an umpteenth time.

Old 09-25-01, 04:58 AM
System error

He is right I had a 5245 and tried to up grade to 98SE. Then I formated the drive and tried to load a stand alone version of win 98SE. You don't want to go there, it cost me Office 97, word and works, when I did finally get it to take the red disk and give me back an OS. Now MS and Compaq will not tell me where Office 97 and word & Works were and how to get them back. I suspect they were on the hard drive from the factory, and after I formated the drive I lost all the MS programs, except for Compaq 98 OS. Be careful with emulation this is why you have to use Comcrap software, I know but I owned one for three long years and I almost gave up computers for Ballet. Be careful to follow only compaqs directions or you will lose your $$$$$ programs. Good luck, Marturo

PS: Next computer have some local computer shop put together a white box for you, Best decision I have made in a long time.

Old 09-25-01, 02:29 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Having no experience with a Compaq (the name even looks funny to me) I have a hard time following what you are saying. If I have it right a person can't buy one and go home, clean it up(fdisk or whatever) and install ones own choice of software. If that is so it is absurd and there ought to be a law. Can you load any third party software? I have always heard not to buy one because the hardware would have to be Compaq. Never anything on this software thing....Mike

Old 09-25-01, 04:20 PM
System error

There is a grain of truth in that, the more trouble you get into and out of the wiser you become. Once upon a time a perfect stranger turned to me in a mega computer store and said, don't buy that it's only half real. Emulation is the trap without an escape. If you are reading this O wise one I suffered along with the unreal POS because I did not think you knew what you were talking about. How wrong I was. If it's any confort to you, I studied my butt off and after three years of fixing a box full of ghosts and some soldered on hardware I built a computer that takes anything I chose to put on or plug into. Not perfect, however boreingly reliable. I don't know why when I formated the drive it went balistic. I just know If you put the Recovery disk in it will go back to like the day you bought it. I wish I knew where Office 97 went with MS Word and Works I guess. Don't bother asking for what you regestered and paid for from Compaq or MS they don't know either they are just gone. If anyone ever asks me I willtell them what that stranger told me, had I just been listing with an open mind. Companies build something into there hardware and software that takes the choices out of your hands. Build one yourself or have one built for you. Marturo

Old 09-25-01, 04:55 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
I will find a way to know what is up with these Compaqs because there must be a way around this anomoly...Mike

Old 09-25-01, 06:12 PM
system error

After I formated the Compaq drive and started to load the start-up disk I saw all hell was breaking loose. I then took the drive off line and installed a new WD 7200 rpm 20 gig wow wrong move. Back in with the old drive changed from boot from A over to boot from CD and started geting some response not one of five Boot disk would work to load the files only the Restore CD had the start up files. I got one Win 98 OS(OEM) and lost the rest of my MS programs. Right on top of the drive it says replace only with Compaq HD. From what I understand Of emulation is, that part of the hardware is software and you can't run one without the other. If the Office 97 and MS Word and Works were not on the Hard drive from the factory then they are on the restore disk. I have tried every way to find them on the CD but have had no luck. Marturo

Old 09-26-01, 01:37 AM
BSB
The word is proprietary. There is no way around the recovery disk with compaq. Its all in the Mother Board. (It may even be as deep rooted as the sticker on the front) On the recovery disk are drivers that the mobo needs to operate correctly (notice that every laptop in the world has a recovery disk? the same applies) You could possibly take the recovery disk, copy it to a folder on your hard drive, copy the 98se cd into a drive, then burn the drivers from the recovery disk and the 98se onto a new CD and see if that will work. since I have never done that I dont know if it will work. You may have to venture to the underground world of hacking and see if any one has ben able to accomplish such a feat. (though I doubt it, most hackers build their own systems) the rest of us build our own systems because we can get a bigger bang for the buck.

Brian