Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Memory

CANADA

09-17-01, 02:37 PM   #1  
my friend tried to reinstall windows 98 but just at the end of installation it won't hook up to the internet. it says" there is not enough memory to continue, close down one or more applications. In control panel,System say her computer is 92% free. In properties in c-drive it says she has 349.4 mb of memory left. Is this enough or what do you think the problem is. Is the space showing in c drive your actual memory and if not how do you check it. pretty well computer illerate, please bear with me.
isetheby
ps if you need any more info you can e-mail me at [email protected]
Thanks

Sponsored Links

WI

09-18-01, 01:28 AM   #2  
Normaly "not enough memory" errors refer to the amount of ram that is availible. How much ram does she have installed? If its less then 64M go out and get another couble of sticks. (there dirt cheap right now)

Another way to check your ram is to run mem from a command prompt. go to dos prompt (dos window) type mem and hit enter. Also how many programs are running in the back ground? how many icons are up in the sys tray? You may want to close a few of them out. To do this go to start>run
type msconfig go to the boot tab, or autoexec tab or the config tab, I forget which one it is, its the last one to the right I think. You can then deselect any programs you do not want to run. *****Be careful though, turn off the wrong one and you will be in safe mode trying to figure out which one you need to turn back on.****

Brian

Search this Thread