.gif reconstruction

Old 09-19-01, 04:04 AM
Has anyone had success reconstructing a .gif received and then deleted via outlook express from outlooks .dbx? Please, do not suggest that it be resent.

Already attempted to no avail: adding version numbers to an apparently stripped header. No, I haven't been able to determine if the byte information is raw or if it has been compacted with an MS algorithm (a suspicion). Also attempted: swapped deleted for inbox after zeroing folders, swapping System1st for the Registry...deleting USER.da?, and then command line execution.

I have obtained the 89a and 87a specifications from Compuserve...helpful for structure information, but of little help in the byte/character translation view extracted from the .dbx.

Other suggestions, avenues, or confirmation as impossible would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-01, 11:08 AM
Tommg
Visiting Guest
If you have opened and viewed the .gif, it may be in your temporary files.

Tom

Old 09-20-01, 05:42 PM
Thanks, but I regularly delete Temp files.

Old 09-21-01, 12:55 AM
Tommg
Visiting Guest
I have no idea if this will work or not: If you have your OE .dbx files, you should be able to find the attachment you are looking for. If you associate your .dbx with .gif image files, perhaps it will decode the picture you are looking for. If they are associated with text files as mine are, perhaps you can cut/paste the encoded text into a program that can decode, such as a news reader or similar.

It may be worth a shot anyway.

Tom

Old 09-21-01, 02:29 AM
It's worth a try! Thanks fot the input.

Search this Thread