Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

computers

Visiting Guest

09-19-01, 03:31 PM   #1  
mibrag
I have a 486 pc running windows 95. Periodically, after it has booted up, and I'm using MS Word or another application, the computer will re-boot. It then goes thru the memory check, which tests OK, but keeps re-booting and going thru the memory check. Turning it OFF and then back ON after a couple of hours wait, allows the pc to boot up and again be used for a short while, before it again starts resetting.
Any ideas. Thanks

Mike

Sponsored Links
's Avatar
Visiting Guest

09-20-01, 02:34 AM   #2  
Sounds like a hardware problem that only shows up when the system is hot. Intermittent problems such as this one that doesn't show up until you've used it a while are usually temp related. The fact that you said you have to leave it turned off a few hours before you can use it again leads me to believe that it is a hardware problem.

What hardware I do not know. You can take it in and have it checked out but the cost of repair for that old system (assuming that parts can still be found for it) may not be worth it. You can get a much more powerful system than your 486 for very little money.

Good luck.

Search this Thread