CD R/W formatj problem

Old 09-29-01, 03:28 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I recently had to refomat my HP Pavillion 8560C drive and lost everything because I did not back up. I will now become a devout backer-upper using the internal CD R/W. I am however having problems with the CD. I use Windows 98.

Windows has: Adaptec Easy CD Creator (Version 3.5c) and Adaptec Direct CD Wizard (Version 2.5d) When I insert a new r/w disk and begin the format procedure the following occurs:

the computer runs for about 20 minutes and then freezes up( cd drawer will not open, mouse will not work, screen saver freezes green light flashes) and has to be shut down manually.

when I start up again and remove disk then replace it and view its options it reads that it has no space - all used

The cd reads other disks o.k. but I cannot get it to format.

Could this be related to the re-format

Please help

Thanks JJ

Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-01, 03:17 AM
Gary Tait
Visiting Guest
Forget using DirecCD, and use Creator to back to
you files. I do that and am happy with it. I never liked
doing UDF (besides, i'd need a UDF reader on each PC i'd
like to read them on).

Old 09-30-01, 12:21 PM
BSB
I am new to CDR's, you format a CDRW? If the info I got is correct wouldn't that remove one of the 2 maximum burns you can do to a CDRW?

Brian
p.s. kina partial to nero myself.

Old 10-04-01, 01:28 PM
hacker
Visiting Guest
Okay, here's how I see it.

You can't use a program to back up your system that is using Windows 98 as an operating system because they're too many changes that are happening in the operating systems files to clone your system correctly.

Any of those of an Adaptec program works in Windows and cannot be used in Windows to back up a system.

What I'm thinking is happening, is that it is copying to the end and not putting an "end to file" marker at the end of your CD.

There could be many reasons for this. But, if you want to back up your hard drive, you cannot do it in Windows.

Unfortunately, we need to get a program like "Norton ghost" or some other program that works in DOS.

And no I don't think, that it is because of the reformat.

Good luck