Windows IE 5 Questions

Old 09-30-01, 01:03 PM
Admin Emeritus
Arrow

I.E.5xx Files, Folders and Cookies Questions

Windows '98 C drive contains one folder named "Windows" which contains a folder named "cookies." Deleting cookies in that folder poses no real problems.

However, further explorations down the list in "C" drive reveals more folders and more cookies within the folder named "Windows."

Windows has another sub folder contained within Internet Explorer called "Temp Internet Files" folder.

Expanding that folder reveals another folder named "Content IE5". Within that folder are yet more folders.

2 Questions:

The folders within the "Content IE 5" use abbreviated names. Several have a combination of numbers and letters. The folders are listed below.

Question #1
Kindly explain what the abbreviated names stand for and why are cookies stored here also?

Question #2
What would happen if the cookies within each of the folders contained within "Content IE5" were deleted? I am NOT referring to deleting the folders, just the cookies within them.

Example list of folders found.

3uf80ofd

8kaqkmod

8xusshmb

butdzuno

du1y80e5

jfnsuwuk

Lb3utiea

prnizu43

ry0hvjok

u2o8fnn6

uviv29cb

xvaogmwl

FYI:
Spaces between each folders name listed above has been left to save time with a reply posting. Using the edit option below, should avoid having to list each folder again within a seperate reply posting and discribing it.

Additional informational replies, facts and opinions will also be greatly appreciated. Kindly use a seperate reply.

Thanks,
Tom

Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-01, 02:24 PM
BSB
those are good questions, ones i dont have answers for. (dont have a lot of those) but since I dont mind messing up my office pc I deleted the cookies in one of the abbreviated folders and found that the other 5 folders contents were also deleted. And that spyder deletes these when you run the program as well. I would say its just another area that MS decided to store cookies. (like the 3 main areas and the .dat files are not enough!)

Brian

Old 09-30-01, 04:43 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hello Brian

Thanks for a timely reply.
Would you kindly explain what you mean by "SPYDER?"

What's the "SPYDER" PROGRAM???

Are you referring to the standard windows scan disk, disk defrag. etc programs or some other program you added or is OEM included in another version of windows???

Once you deleted the cookies within one folder, you mean it deleted all the cookies within all the other folders also?
HOW???

Once all those cookies where deleted, how did the computer function?

Did you notice any differences afterwards?
Differences on web sites you often visit?
Any accessing the web problems?
Any problems accessing this site or email programs???

Yes?...if so, what differences? Kindly explain.

Did any passwords, screen names, custom settings on websites etc or news web sites etc settings change?
Kindly explain?

The major intent here is to help myself and others learn what TO do and what NOT to do. Where to clear cookies from and where not to. Detailed replies help greatly.

Thanks,
Tom

Old 09-30-01, 06:29 PM
Answers!

1. All of the filenames are uniquely named Sub-Folders. Their sole intended use is for storage of temporary internet files. Their use or non-use is dependant on the IE Property sheet setting "Days to keep pages in history" - [tab] General.

The Cookies Folder is the current Cookies cache Folder. It contains individual single and double entry cookies ( [email protected][1].txt - [email protected][2].txt ) and/or "persistent cookies". The file attributes 'h' for hidden file, and 'r' for read only file are used to foil their deletion [at least for most Windows Users]. Another relevant file in the Cookies folder is INDEX.DAT. Index.dat contains a database record of every cookie received. Every single last cookie!

Logically, when the "Content" Sub-Folders are in use, due to the history setting on the property sheet, relevant cookies to that days sites may be stored within the Sub- Folders.

2. The cookies may be deleted at will with NO or "little" ill effects. [An "ill" may be that when a cached history site is clicked on the relevant cookie would be retrieved from the INDEX.DAT file causing a few more micro-seconds of processing].

A different perspective:
Using a unique or confusing name generally elicits the same reaction from Windows Users (ie: I don't understand it; thus I should leave it alone). [Microsoft is programing your viewpoint by anticipating your reaction...something they have been very successful at]. That view has it's good and bad points.

If the folders had been named day1...day8... the intended use of each folder would be clear. But, if you understand computers to be sequential processing machines and programming to be sequentially ordered events...then this case may make some sense: Action: User deletes the folder day4 (or all of the files within) from among day1 to day7.

IF AND ONLY IF Micosoft has anticipated this "user err" then Internet Explorer can resolve this problem by reordering the events (day1 to day7 minus day4). Otherwise the user has created a broken chain of events that cannot be resolved. Unresolved sequential programming events cause the unknown to happen.

Individual cookies may be deleted with no ill effects! But, in my humble opinion a better course would be to delete the entire sub-folder tree from Real MSDOS Mode (unless you want to retain x days of history for some reason). When Windows restarts the folder tree is initialized, "rebuilt", to its default form. This is a "user err event" that Microsoft did anticipate.

Suggestion: >IE Properties >Advanced.
Check Close unused folders in history and favorites.

Old 09-30-01, 07:19 PM
Wow! Tom...lots of questions.

Deleitng individual cookies DOES NOT change passwords, screen names, custom settings on websites IF...the cookie is stored within INDEX.DAT. Again: all cookies recieved are stored within INDEX.DAT. [I have not verified this, but I think the index is updated when the browser closes]. IF INDEX.DAT is deleted along with all cookies then all settings are lost. IF in session cookies are deleted feature settings for those cookies would be lost also.

A performance boost would depend on how many cookies are deleted and if the Disk is Defraged afterward. The boost, if any, would not be noticeable for the most part. Who measures disk seek time on a regular basis(?) and why do a few mirco-seconds matter? You would have more disk storage space for other files.

Personally I use DOS to clean up Internet files, but I think most Windows users would be better off using a trusted program.

Old 10-01-01, 04:56 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hello 2000

Thanks for a well explained and detailed explanations in reply to the 2 questions asked.

I am now sure of several things regarding those files and folders. Myself and others have learned a lot more about how, why and where cookies are stored.

I have already taken your suggestions to make the adjustments in the Internet Explorer properties folder Advanced Tab and lowered the number of days to keep in history.

Microsofts method of programming my viewpoint by anticipating my reaction using confusing names with and without numbers for files and folders does work well....

Thanks again 2000.

Topic is still open should anyone knowledgeable with windows files and folders care to expound further on the topic. Your expertise would also be much appreciated.

Regards,
Tom

Old 10-03-01, 06:07 AM
BSB
Tom,

Spyder is an external program that completly erases any trace of your internet history. for example when I run spyder I have to re-input my doityourself forum username and password. It will not effect any favorites or IE/NS settings or options. spyder is only concerned with cookies and index.dat files. It will not remove your history from with in IE, (tools...internet options....clear history). (you can read more about spyder from my post in hints and tips, search back about 60 days or so.) never see any adverse performance from deletion of cookies, or any benifit. Temp internet files has never really caused me any problems either, I just delete them once a week just to free up the HD space.

And yes, when I deleted the cookies in one of the content ie folders, all cookies were deleted from all content ie subfolders.

Brian

Old 10-03-01, 04:19 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hi: Brian

Thanks for replying with the follow-up information. I did have a few concerns regarding the operation of the computer if I removed the cookies from within those folders. Thanks to your input on this topic, those concerns are not as unclear nor important.

I too also clear the cookies in the temp internet folder as you discribed. I just was surprised to find more folders and still more cookies in other locations.

Once again, thanks to you Brian and yourself 2000 also for helping to answer the questions, explain the details and help myself and others learn more about the inner workings of these machines I sometimes refer to as Computer Contraptions".......

Now prepare for the next question...

Where is the file that stores the passwords?

Windows has a pop up dialog box that asks if you want windows to remember the password, to a login web site, so you won't have to retype it again.

If you click No, it never reappears.
If you click YES, there is no option later change that password.
Clicking the X causes the dialog box to reappear each time until you click one of the other selections...either YES or No.

Where is the location of the file, how to find it and how to clear it is the question. Also how to make it reappear after clearing the passwords and login names???

Any help with this would also be appreciated.

Regards,
Tom