Name and Password Storage Files

Old 10-07-01, 04:28 AM
Admin Emeritus
Windows Files And Folders Help Requested.

Windows has a pop up dialog box that asks if you want windows to remember the name and password you select to use to log into customized web sites, so you won't have to re-type it again.

Examples:
Customized and or Personalized News Web Sites, Banking and Stock Portfolios plus a host of other similar type web sites that require a login method to identify the user.

Although the pop up window is a handy feature to have and use, it does have it's shortcomings.

When the window appears for the first time, if you click NO, the pop up window never reappears. Once NO is selected, there isn't any means to use it again for the same site, should you elect to activate the feature.

If you click YES, there is no option later to change that name and password. A dropdown window option does appear but no option to clear or change any name or password is offered.

Clicking the X box in the upper right corner closes the dialog box for that session. The dialog box will reappear each time the same site is accessed. This happens until you click one of the other selection choices either YES or NO.

The intent is to either clear fully, delete selected names, passwords or modify selected names and or passwords not used any longer from those listed within the dropdown window selection of the dialog box.

If it is not possible to clear the file of names and or passwords selectively, then is it possible to safely and totally remove this option folder without causing computer problems?

If this is possible...

Where is the file or folder that stores the this info?
How exactly can the file or folder be found?
Once it's located, how can it be cleared?
Is the option able to be simply turned OFF?

Help with this task would be greatly appreciated.

All replies gladly excepted. Replies containing clearly defined file and or folder names and terms with step by step detailed instructions would be extremely helpful also.

Thanks,
Tom

Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-01, 09:51 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Hello Tom, All I have at this time is a possible way to turn the password function off. Internet Options, Content tab, AutoComplete button takes you to AutoComplete Settings. Clear the box "Prompt me to save passwords". Try clearing the password list in the same applet under Clear AutoComplete History-Clear Passwords. I will find out if/how the password list can be edited but just guessing it is the same as the IE dropdown that shows previous addresses which can only be edited by using TweakUI or in the registry. I have Profile Assistant and AutoComplete turned off. I use a form filler that fills any web forms with a click of a button on the toolbar. This is not a spyware program like some and if you are curious LMK here and I'll post a link....Mike

Old 10-07-01, 10:32 AM
Tom, maybe I can help.
Clip the following html, then paste it into Notepad. Choose File, Save As , then save to your desktop
"C:\WINDOWS\DESKTOP" using the filename xyz.html The folder "c:\windows\desktop" and the filename "xyz.html" are hardcoded in the html document. The web page is for use off-line.

[code]

<html>
<title></title>
<head></head>
<body>
<center>
<b>Welcome to UpYourWindows.com</b><br>
<u>Always a subcription free site</u><br>
</center>
<p>
<font face="Arial" size="2">
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<u>Use this form to Delete OR Add <b>Autocomplete</b> single user names and passwords!</u><br>
<b>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Not for use while Online!</b><br>
<form action="c:\windows\desktop\xyz.html" method=post>
<b>Username:</b> <INPUT TYPE="TEXT" NAME="username" SIZE=7 MAXLENGTH=16>
<b>Password:</b> <INPUT TYPE="PASSWORD" NAME="password" SIZE=7 MAXLENGTH=16>
<INPUT TYPE="RESET" VALUE="Clear Inputs">
<INPUT TYPE="SUBMIT" value="Logon">
</form>
<br>
<font face="Arial" size="4">
<ul>
<b>&nbsp;&nbsp;Form Useage Instructions:</b>
</ul></font>
<ul>
<b>Important: </b>If a page refresh is attempted After Clicking the<br>
Logon button click <b>CANCEL</b> when prompted to refresh the page!<br><br>
<b>Setup</b><br>
1. Click <a href="C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\INETCPL.CPL">Internet Options</a> Choose <u><b>Open this file from it's current location</u></b><br>
<ul>
<b>Note:</b> If the link is broken substitute the Path to INETCPL.CPL<br>
on your system within the html source code. Click View, Source<br>
</ul>
<b>OR</b> Click Tools...Internet Options to load INETCPL.CPL<br><br>
2. Click the Content [tab], then Autocomplete<br>
3. In the Autocomplete Options check the following boxes:<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;Forms<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;User names and passwords on forms<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;Prompt me to save passwords<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;Click OK, OK<br><br>
4. Click <a href="C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\INETCPL.CPL">Internet Options</a> Choose <u><b>Open this file from it's current location</u></b><br>
5. Click the Security tab, then Custom Level for each Zone.<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Ensure that <u><b>Prompt for user name and password</u></b> is checked under the<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<u>Logon</u> Option in the Internet Zone.<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;Click OK, OK<br><br>
<b>Deleting Usernames:</b><br>
1. Input the Username you wish to delete in the Username Input box.<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Otherwise Input the first few characters for Auto-suggesstion<br>
2. Press the Down Arrow Key to highlight the Username, then press the Del Key.<br>
3. When Windoze asks you to confirm deletion click Yes.<br>
Click Clear Inputs if you wish to repeat the process.<br><br>
<b>Deleting passwords:</b><br>
1. Input the password, highlight it, press the Del Key.<br>
<b>Adding Usernames and passwords:</b><br>
1. Input Username and password, Click Logon.<br>
2. When Windoze asks you to confirm the addition click Yes.<br>
<b>Disable Autocomplete</b><br>
1. Click <a href="C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\INETCPL.CPL">Internet Options</a> Choose <u><b>Open this file from it's current location</u></b><br>
2. Click the Content [tab], then Autocomplete<br>
3. Clear all check boxes<br>
4. Click OK, OK<br><br>
<font face="Arial" size="4">
Tip: Press the F1 Key to launch IE help
</font>
</ul>
</font>
</body>
</html>

[/code]

Old 10-08-01, 03:51 PM
Admin Emeritus
Thanks Mike and 2000

I located the folder you discribed Mike.
I cleared the check mark in the prompt me to save passwords box, as you suggested. That did in fact turn the feature off.

Next step is to clear the folders of passwords and names. I doubt that can be done selectively also, now that the option has been located.

Wondering now if doing that clearing without the selection option would really be wise? It may clear those "Post Subject" headers used for this web site too...

In regards to the form filler, if it's a software program that saves a name and password, automatically pops up when a log in web page appears I use
http://www.gator.com

I also have http://www.passwordpal
This one doesn't pop up. It runs in the background and you have to open it with a password to access the names and passwords you entered.

Both of these download programs are FREE, are devoid of advertisements and work exceptionally well.

Any additional information you care to add to this topic would also be greatly appreciated. On behalf of myself, those I help with learning more about the windows software and those reading this forum, we all thank you and 2000.

Regards,
Tom

Old 10-09-01, 06:25 PM
Tom, usernames and passwords are encrypted. They cannot be edited simply by opening a file and selectively deleting unwanted text. Autocomplete usernames and passwords may be deleted selectively by editing the Registry.

The following applies to: AUTOCOMPLETE usernames and passwords only! Versions: Windows9x!
IE 5.x

WARNING: backup the Registry before editing! Files: C:\windows\System.dat C:\windows\User.dat
WARNING: backup the Registry before editing! Got that?

By following this guide you "the User" bear complete responsibility for the outcome, including errors and/or omissions in this guide.

Start by navigating to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Protected Storage
System Provider\"username"\Data

Replace "username" with the Registered Username (minus quotes) if a single user or the "logged current user". Registered username >My Computer >Control Panel >System >General [tab].

Below Data you should see two Keys. Expand the second Key. Below that key you should see another Key similar to "e161255a-37c3-11d2-bcaa-00c04fd929db" Expand that Key.

Now the fun begins!
For each URL with a saved autocomplete username and password there will be TWO Entires!

The first is URL:StringData
http://anywhere.com/:StringData

The next is URL:StringIndex.
http://anywhere.com/:StringIndex

Note the Colon seperator after URL!

The URL is associated with both username and password! If you get lost exit regedit then use xyz.html to enter a username and password then search the registry for "xyz.html".

Case One: Remove URL, username, and password for a particular site.
Delete Both Keys (URL:StringData and URL:StringIndex) for the URL in the left pane. Right Click each Key >Delete.

Case Two: Remove username and password for a particulatr URL but leave URL for reassignment of username and password. Click each URL Key in turn. In the right pane Right Click Behavor and Item Data in turn then click Delete.

Note: the URL http://anywhere.com/ must be the exact page of the logon form. The next time you logon to URL and Autocomplete is enabled the values (Behavior and Item Data) for each Key will be added.

Case Three: Reserve space for a URL to assign username and password to.
Note: the URL must be the exact page of the logon form!

Right click the parent Key "e161255a-37c3-11d2-bcaa-00c04fd929db" Select >New >Key. Repeat the process. Create two new Keys for eachreservation.

Rename the Keys in order:
Top: URL:StringData
Bottom: URL:StringIndex
The Colon sepeartor is required!

When you logon to URL and Autocomplete is enabled the values (Behavior and Item Data) for each Key will be added. Remember URL must be the exact page. It cannot be relative to the specified URL.

But I want to edit usernames and passwords directly within the registry! Forget it! Not today, and not tomarrow, unless you choose to break the encryption code.

Tying things together: when Clear Passwords is clicked in Autocomplete options all URL keys are removed from under the parent Key e161255a-37c3-11d2-bcaa-00c04fd929db

Tom: no, deleting values or Keys will not affect posts.

Old 10-10-01, 03:18 PM
Admin Emeritus
Thanks 2000

Thanks for the well explained, written and detailed updated additional information. From all the information provided on this topic, the task can now be safely accomplished.

Thanks,
Tom and Company