sign on noise

Old 10-21-01, 02:05 AM
Chanel
Visiting Guest
Question

How do you stop all the noise when you are signing onto a dial up modem? The static and ringing?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-01, 03:06 PM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
I went to modem properties and turned mine OFF..

Old 10-22-01, 03:40 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Chanel, Did you get the dialing noise stopped? Sometimes moving the slider to off will not stop this but there are a couple of other ways to go at it....Mike

Old 10-22-01, 04:29 AM
Chanel
Visiting Guest
noise still there

Moving the slider didn't work on my computer. What are some other ways I can try? Thanks for the replies.

Old 10-22-01, 04:58 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
To get your modem to be quiet when it dials, try this:

1. Hit Start, Settings, Control Panel, and open your Modems icon.

2. You should see your modem listed on the Modem Properties screen.
Click it (select it) and hit the Properties button. Click the
Connection
tab, then the Advanced button.

3. You should see a box labeled "Extra Settings". Enter the following
into it:

ATM0

BTW - that last character is a zero - don't accidentally use the
letter
"o".

Hit the OK button until your out of your modem settings and give it a
try. The modem shouldn't make a sound when it dials.

If this fails try MO where "O" is zero. Do restart after each operation.
It seems that it is not possible to stop the dialup noise on every PC and why I don't know yet.....Mike

Old 10-23-01, 03:56 AM
Chanel
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up Thank you

It worked. Thanks so much.

Old 10-23-01, 06:31 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Noise?

Hey guy's, the only problem with turning off this "Noise" is now you have no true way to tell your connect rate. Windoze lies like an old carpet about connect rates. With a click of a button I can have mine show I connected at 115,000 kBS but we no this is not possible. The noise that the modem makes will tell you what speed and if you are actualy connect at 56K (44K max allowed in the US.) As the modem connects the double "Bong" or bell indicates a V90 connect, the length of the tones being generated tell whether you have hit at 26, 28 or 33.6K. Those of us that have been around since 2400 baud can ID these sounds easily. And to think we used to believe a 90 meg hard drive was LARGE and a 2400 baud connect was FAST If your not worried about whether your getting your $$$ worth out of your ISP then by all means shut that racket off! Me? I'm so tight I squeak when I walk But I do spring for the cable modem! Greased lightning on steroids. Going to run up to one of our colleges here and check out the new Internet2 connection. No ad's, merchandising etc. Just pure speed!

Old 10-23-01, 07:48 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
bigmike, Perhaps you can help me. My mothers Gateway on a 56k dialup shows only 12,000-18,000bps at any time. After much research we have decided its the poor phone lines in her area. The thing that I don't understand(nothing unusual here) is I connect at 36,333-50,667bps. When it falls below 36,000 I can tell a major difference in the time it take pages to load in particular ones with photo graphics that I have never been to. On the Gateway even with the pitiful bps her pages seem to load about as fast as mine. If Windoze, as you call it, lies, how do you know your true connect rate if you aren't tuned to the tones you refer to. I have suspected that the Gateway must be connected at greater than the 12-18bps it shows or I am not connected as high as presented.
My next question is, what does it matter what you are connected at if there is nothing to be done about it except to reconnect and hope for better? Either way me and others don't want to here it dial. Does hearing the dialing noises cause you to connect at better rates or do you just have a real idea what that rate is?
High speed access is only available in few parts of my county right now but perhaps soon we will experience some real speed.
Also, not that it matters but I have a BellSouth tech friend that says the legal limit in the US is 53,000bps.
What is Internet2? Anything like a T1 line? I understand T1 is the fastest thing going right now but my daughter has it in her dorm and I am totally unimpressed. The only difference I see in it compared to my 56k is a 20 minute mp3 download on mine is 20 seconds on the T1. Great if thats your thing. All webpages load the same as mine.
Mike, as always, thanks for your time and expertise in the area of Windoze. I have learned much from you and doubt I have even heard more than a small % of what you know....MikeJ

Old 10-23-01, 11:30 AM
Chanel
Visiting Guest
lucky you

I wish I could have cable, or one of the fast internet services, but unfortunately, I'm in an area where I have only one internet option, and it's through a school!! Thanks again for your help.

Old 10-25-01, 03:30 PM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Lost it, found it, lost it again...

Originally posted by mikejmerritt
bigmike, Perhaps you can help me. My mothers Gateway on a 56k dialup shows only 12,000-18,000bps at any time. After much research we have decided it’s the poor phone lines in her area. The thing that I don't understand (nothing unusual here) is I connect at 36,333-50,667bps. When it falls below 36,000 I can tell a major difference in the time it take pages to load in particular ones with photo graphics that I have never been to. On the Gateway even with the pitiful bps her pages seem to load about as fast as mine. If Windoze, as you call it, lies, how do you know your true connect rate if you aren't tuned to the tones you refer to. I have suspected that the Gateway must be connected at greater than the 12-18bps it shows or I am not connected as high as presented. *** The way I understand it is, when you connect you connect at say 33,6. During that connection you will swing from as little as 2400 to 44k plus. It depends on how much traffic there is on the net. http://www.internettrafficreport.com/ gives an idea of what the net is currently doing.***
My next question is, what does it matter what you are connected at if there is nothing to be done about it except to reconnect and hope for better? Either way me and others don't want to here it dial. Does hearing the dialing noises cause you to connect at better rates or do you just have a real idea what that rate is? *** Listening to the dial up "Noise" lets you know your connect speed. It doesn't matter if it is on or not. You will still connect at 00.0 whatever. ***
High speed access is only available in few parts of my county right now but perhaps soon we will experience some real speed.
Also, not that it matters but I have a BellSouth tech friend that says the legal limit in the US is 53,000bps.*** Well according to the FCC the legal highest initial connect rate is 44,000 kbs. Bandwidth limitations or some such. If they are allowing a higher connection they are in violation of FCC law. I will dig more and post the FCC rules if you want. It may have changed in the last couple of years and I missed it too. Running the cable modem I don't pay much attention to dialup info anymore.***
What is Internet2? Anything like a T1 line? I understand T1 is the fastest thing going right now but my daughter has it in her dorm and I am totally unimpressed. The only difference I see in it compared to my 56k is a 20 minute mp3 download on mine is 20 seconds on the T1. Great if that’s your thing. All webpage’s load the same as mine. *** The Internet2 thing is really in its infancy, it was designed for colleges etc so they didn't have to deal with ads, merchandising etc. It is equivalent to a T1 but without the garbage.***
Mike, as always, thanks for your time and expertise in the area of Windoze. I have learned much from you and doubt I have even heard more than a small % of what you know....MikeJ *** Thanks for your kind words but I wish I knew more! I still have to pester my guru now and then. Some of these young guys on here know more of the I want to say hacker but that's not what I mean. They have figured out ways around windoze problems that I wouldn't have. But we were pretty much taught by MS to stay out of their coding, registry etc unless they told us beta tester what to do to get a bug out etc. I wasn't into programming etc. Wish now I would have went that route instead of repair! Anyway sorry it took so long to answer, kept starting the reply and the phone would ring, someone would knock on the door or I would just fall asleep while taking a break. Later y'all.***

Old 10-26-01, 04:10 AM
I like to hear the modem dialing and the negotiation so that I know if I'm wasting my time. So instead of M0 I use L0M1. This keeps the speaker at its lowest volume then turns the speaker off when carrier is detected. I also put in W2. This forces reporting of your modem to remote modem speed instead of reporting your modem to your computer speed (like when you get 115000). And then I add &D2. This seems to help the modem terminate the call at the end of the session. Just add them all together in a string with no spaces, lower or upper case, win 9x or better does not require "at" at the beginning. So my setup string looks like: L0M1W2&D2 (That's Lzero, not oh)

For more info go to google and search for modem init string.

Old 10-26-01, 04:24 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool ichy

Thanks Ichabod, I used a string very similar to this and was trying to find it again. Amazing that when you stop using something like a modem for a couple of years you forget this stuff that you originaly worked so hard to find?!