Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

config.sys

Visiting Guest

10-21-01, 04:59 PM   #1  
u2what4
i am having several problems with ms-dos and all come back to config.sys when i went to look at the file my config.sys is empty how do i repair this please dont say windows site they are help full only to the helpless

Sponsored Links

WI

10-21-01, 07:40 PM   #2  
What kind of problems are you having with dos? Running dos from windows or booting into dos? If you look at config.sys in both 2000 and nt its blank, I dont even think they exsist. If you are running 95 or 98 there will only be a few lines for both OS's. for the most part windows does most if not all of the configurations. If you are wanting to boot into dos do a search for boot disks under any search engine. Personaly I use techworm for my dos boot disk, takes a few min for it to boot, but every ounce of memory that can be squeezed from dos is freed.

Brian

Visiting Guest

10-21-01, 11:45 PM   #3  
u2what4
i am running win 98 and among other reasons that this is a problem is i am unable to run any dos games from windows or dos as well as no mouse for dos based word pros. programs and i cannot access cd drive from dos either

WI

10-22-01, 12:36 AM   #4  
Its been so long since I wrote a config.sys from scratch, not to mention that I am too lazy to even try. 2000 is the dos god and will most likely have some good info for you but you can do one of 2 things, wait till someone posts what their config.sys says (I wont be able to untill around midnight) or go here http://www.computerhope.com/ac.htm and you should be able to gather enough info to write up your own config.sys file.

And if your like me and still like to play the old dos memory hungry games like ultima 7 go here http://www.bootdisk.com and get the dos boot from w0rm it great.

Brian

10-22-01, 09:19 PM   #5  
The mouse problem can be solved under WinDOS without creating a config.sys or autoexec.bat file.

If you want Mouse or CD_ROM access when booted to DOS only Real Mode DOS Drivers for both are necessary. Without them either want is a pipe dream. In addition both devices will need to be removed from the Windows hardware profile then reinstalled under DOS, plus reinstalled under Windows also. Reinstallation under Win adds the protected mode drivers.

Normally during DOS CD_ROM installation install.exe or setup.exe place the proper DEVICE=line in the config.sys file. If this file does not exist it is created. Many installation programs add the proper line to the autoexec.bat file also. Well written mouse installation programs add the proper line to either the config.sys or autoexec.bat file (depends on the driver filename extension: .EXE = autoexec.bat .SYS or .COM = config.sys)

IF...you run DOS games when booted to DOS only and you want CD_ROM support your config.sys file skeleton will look something like this:

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DOS=HIGH,UMB
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE NOEMS
DEVICEHIGH=C:\ATACR\CR_ATAPI.SYS /D:MSCD000 /Q
; last line =cd rom driver loaded into upper memory)
; syntax DEVICE=path-to-driver /D:drivername /options

IF...you run DOS games when booted to Windows and you want DOS CD_ROM support your config.sys file skeleton will look something like this:

[himem.sys] [dos=high,umb] are defaults loaded by IO.SYS. [emm386.exe is the expanded memory manager] NOEMS = no expanded memory, because many DOS games crash when it's enabled. But to load the CD_ROM driver into high memory to free conventional memory the expanded memory manager must be loaded first.

OR this:
DEVICE=C:\ATACR\CR_ATAPI.SYS /D:MSCD000 /Q
This uses Conventional memory.

R-E-M-E-M-B-E-R CD_ROM drives require entries in both the config.sys and autoexec.bat files!

A skeleton for autoexec.bat and CD_ROM support only.

@echo off
LH C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD000

LH = load high. IF and ONLY IF upper memory is enabled and free memory blocks exist MSCDEX.exe will load into upper memory. Otherwise Conventional memory is used and LH is ignored. Note that the /D:devicename is the same as in the config.sys file. IT MUST BE THIS WAY OR THE CD_ROM DRIVE
WILL NOT WORK.

A skeleton for autoexec.bat with CD_ROM and Mouse support:

@echo off
LH C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX.EXE /D:123
LH C:\MOUSE\MOUSE.EXE

R-E-M-E-M-B-E-R some mouse drivers are loaded in the config.sys file instead of the autoexec.bat file:

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DOS=HIGH,UMB
DEVICEHIGH=C:\MOUSE\MOUSE.SYS

Before taking the following steps ENSURE that you have DOS Real Mode Drivers for the CD_ROM drive and the Mouse and their protected mode "Windows" counterparts (driver disks or WIN CD).

>Start >Settings >CtrlPanel >System >Device Manager x by device type. Highlight each device, click Remove, click OK. To ensure that Windows DOES NOT load when you reboot create the zerobyte batch file c:\win.bat like this: >Start >Programs >MSDOS Prompt type: rem >c:\win.bat

Reboot. You'll be taken to Real Mode MSDOS without intervention.
R-E-M-E-M-B-E-R to delete c:\win.bat after rebooting: del c:\win.bat

Install the DOS CD_ROM driver:
Note: some DOS CD-Rom installation programs expect MSCDEX.exe to be in the root folder, others will ask for the path if it's not in the root folder. So, as a precautionary step copy MSCDEX.exe from c:\windows\command to C:\ copy c:\windows\command\mscdex.exe c:\

Insert the driver disk in drive A:, type A:, then type install or setup. Follow the prompts and keep a pencil and paper handy. Repeat the same steps for the mouse driver.

Reboot to Windows. >Start >Settings >CtrlPanel >Add New Hardware. "No" to hardware detection. Select each device in turn, then the manufacturer, then have disk, finish.

Enable the Mouse under WinDOS:
Create a shortcut to the MSDOS program. Right Click - Properties [tab] Misc. see: mouse.

You can create a phony MSDOS.EXE program shortcut on your desktop for viewing various options:

echo MZ>c:\windows\desktop\phony.exe

R-E-M-E-M-B-E-R Windows is not all seeing and all knowing. In fact it's rather stupid for an "intelligent OS". MZ is the DOS .exe file signature. DO NOT attempt to OPEN or RUN this file. Right click >Properties >various tabs.

Of interest to gamers are the Program [tab] Advanced, and the Memory [tab]. When Real MSDOS Mode is selected private config.sys and autoexec.bat files may be created for each MSDOS program. Chose specify a new configuration to see the defaults carried over from the c:\config.sys and c:\autoexec.bat files or the defaults loaded by IO.SYS. You can edit the statements in each private file. You CANNOT enable a DOS device that has not been enabled in the c:\config.sys or c:\autoexec.bat files. The Configuration button allows easy enabling of direct disk access, expanded memory, and disk caching. Delete phony.exe!

Search this Thread