Network

Old 11-05-01, 04:24 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool

OK let’s see if anyone can help me… I just installed Win 2000 Pro. Install went so/so but I had a heck of a time getting some network cards setup. Running on server:
-AMD K6 350
-384 meggs SDIMM
-Banshee video, Sound Blaster Live FX
-Network cards: One RealTek 8019 – One Encore ENL-832. In the second machine a RealTek RTL 8129. Thru an Encore 5-port mini Hub.
The two computers see each other but will not share folders etc. The Server machine connects to the cable modem an internet no problems. The 2ond machine will not share internet even though all perimeters are set up, individual IP addresses, internet sharing etc. We cannot find a single problem with the software… But… When I initially set up 2000 the Realtek 8019 was in the server machine as well as the RT 8129. This would not allow the 8019 to connect to the Encore on the 2ond machine. So when I moved the 8129 to the 2ond machine the problem more or less followed the 8129. Because I show full duplex between the 8019 and Encore now… So I have never seen this but can a network card fail but only half duplex failure? 99% of cards seen fail totally not half duplex! If any of this rambling make sense what’s ur opinion? We have been after it for more than 17 hours, changing, moving re-wiring etc. Even my guru was whipped! It just has us whipped, we can find nothing software wrong! And away we go...

Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-01, 10:44 AM
I guess you checked workgroup names and such. Is sharing turned on in all the folders? Try installing the NICs one at a time in the the machine with two cards. The MAC address of the card is a fixed value unique to the card and may be the reason why this appears to follow the card.

When you install the cards, uninstall the drivers in the Control Panel - System folder, then restart the machine and install the drivers for the card when the add hardware wizard starts. If it doesn't start, go the the control panel and install them under the system NIC driver update option.

In windows the server needs to be booted before the other machines running windows because the first one will try to set itself up as the master server based upon order of presence and level of OS.

If you can ping the other machine, but not see it in network neighborhood, then the names and workgroup likely don't match. Make sure that the proper protocol is installed and only the one you need. Possibly TCP/IP. It may be that running DHCP on the server-router may help by eliminating the need to assign IP addresses. I assume this server-router is running a firewall with NAT to provide a route to the internet to protect your network from hackers.

Good luck.

Old 11-08-01, 12:48 PM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Gave up on 2000

I gave up! 2000 could not support my 1 to 1/12 year old Creative products and Creative was no help at all. The network problem wound up being a bad card. After buying and installing a router I finaly figured it out. No one I have spoke with has ever heard of an ethernet card failing only half duplex. So I am going to keep it around till I get bored one day and see if I can get it to work in one of the other machines.

Old 11-08-01, 01:29 PM
Windows 2000 uses IP as the default protocal and I can rarely get it to do networking unless it has an IP address it likes. Which also means both computers must use the same subnet and gateway (if there is one). If these don't match then the computers won't talk.

Having said that, does your ISP give you two IP address? If you have to share one then you're into IP routing and the like. This is the stuff that gives Lan Managers nightmares.

My suggestion get the networking between the two computers working without the ISP connection. Give the cards the spoofed IP addresses (1.1.1.1 and 1.1.1.2 with a subnet of 255.0.0.0 and no gateway) Remove all protocals for those cards except Microsoft Networking and TCP/IP. Hopefully, then your computers will talk.

Then, the easiest way to deal with the ISP is to stick a second NIC and connect it to the DSL or Cable Modem box. Once you configure the second card and the Internet works OK on the server then take the plunge. On the server box turn on routing on the ISP card and wade through the help files and TechNet articles until you get the settings all worked out so that the second computer works on the Internet. This will also make it easier to install personal firewalls and the like.

Old 11-08-01, 03:18 PM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool tried

We actualy tried this and it also didn't work but one way. The 2ond computer would send but not recieve. And no I have a static IP from @home. But the router idea was the best way to go really. I have freed up my computer from being a "server" so no internet connection sharing software. Only one ethernet card per computer and I no longer have to leave my computer on to proveid internet to the 2ond system. I always knew this was just being cheap The only thing I am still curious about is the card only failing one way... That's electronics for you though...