Cdrw

Old 11-18-01, 04:21 AM
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb Cdrw

I'm wanting to install a cdrw and i was wandering if i will be needing any software for it to work,such as, will the computer recognize the cdrw or not,or will have to have some,i plan to purchase it used so i will not know if it comes with any or not ?
Basically all i want to do is be able to save stuff onto a cd,will i be able to do this with a cdr or should i get the cdrw,and whats the diff.?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-01, 06:03 AM
Visiting Guest
There are a lot of types of software on the market to burn CD's. I prefer Easy CD Creator which is made by Roxio. Their site is: http://www.roxio.com/en/products/cdrpc.jhtml
The software is extremely reliable and if there is a problem with it, they publish an update promptly. Check out their site for more info. You can also find various types of software online by doing a search at Cnet.com.

cya,
Chris

Old 11-18-01, 11:37 PM
BSB
Unless you buy a CD-RW white box that does not include an installation CD. you will need to get the appropriate drivers for teh model you purchase. Most of the time the drive will come with an installation CD and manufacturers burning partner. Depending on what operating system you have you can choose from 3 or so decent programs, Easy CD creator, Nero (they say the new version works with W2K, dont beleive em!) or others. You can go to a consumer review website to get different point of veiws of the most popular. (use a search engine to search for reviews) You man even try www.anandtech.com or www.tomshardware for reviews of both the CD-RW and the software.

There are also several brands of discs to use, I would stay away from hi-val discs, have heard nothing but trouble from them. Its better to spend a few $$ more and get a reliable disc rather then making a bunch of coasters out of what you thought was a bargin. (my $2)

Brian

Old 11-19-01, 09:05 PM
BSB
I would go with a CD-R. I am not that familiar with CD-RW. I know that you can only Re-write to the CD-RW discs once, after you have burned it the first time. The discs are a bit more costly and I think you have to format the discs before you burn. I don't know the price difference between the two types of drives but, you can go to several places to get a good idea. www.pricewatch.com , www.pricegrabber.com are a few.

Brian