BUGGY Software Question

Old 11-22-01, 02:44 AM
Admin Emeritus
Buggy Software Question

Hello Computer Forum

Question?

How come there are so many BUGS in this software?

This isn't a new concept for an interactive web site that has never been used. The old software was a new concept and therefore I could understand that there would be some BUGS that would need to be ironed out.

However, this new version is so BUGGY makes me wonder if the software writers and or software company had any idea of how the web site use to work????

Makes one wonder if the software tech writers had any idea, concept, practice with the older version, how it was used and it's functionality????

The web site other software version had an operational platform from which to work on and function by. Building up upon that, testing and using the new software, should have exposed any functional problems, etc. prior to the new release or so one would think....

Such does not seem to be the case. One has to guess that the non software technical layman just doesn't understand how these software problems can happen.....?????

Could you provide some insight and details, in an explaination using laymans terms, so the computer topic forum readers can understand this?

Thus far, in my opinion and experience with this new version of BUGGY software, it's like building a house without any idea of what you want in a floor plan, no plans, no blue prints, just building materials and a hammer....hahahaha......

RSVP
TomB

Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-01, 11:31 AM
Just as another reference, why is the final release of any new windows operating system allways followed by fixes and updates by microsoft ? It seems that no matter how much it is tested , it has to operate in the real world before the true nature of the bugs they never caught finally come to life.

They really have to release the software to a limited well used real life websites for testing purposes, but some web authors do not like the idea of giving out freebees just to prove their software works. Some provide what they call beta testing, which still does not always find all the bugs.

Perhaps the key is don't take the software on the date of release but wait for others to have the problems first, so when you get it, the bugs have hopefully been fixed.

I work in a broadcast station, and they are trying to hook up an interface computer that talks to both a computer system and a server system (can't mention the companies names) , each company very protective about their code and releasing only the min amount for the other company to work with, the problem is that each company is pointing the finger at the other company as the cause of it not functioning reliably enough to be used.

Old 11-24-01, 12:44 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: dkerr

Thanks for your excellent, informative reply.

The method used to test computer software surely still sounds very iffy. I am sure glad we don't build everything this way...

Like CARS and AIRPLANES!!!...hahaha

By the way:
How does one know if waiting several months after a new software operating system or program will infact have less BUGS

I would be inclined to assume that once the program or system is released on CD, it never gets rewritten and reissued on another later version of CD.

The theory used in determining the above statement, is based upon the web sites provided by the software companies for obtaining patches...{updates}

Is the above a reasonable conclusion?

Second question:
Would the timeouts and message lenghts be causing some of the problems currently. with this sites newer version of software?

It certainly appears to be and had in the older version, until they removed them. Your thoughts on this matter also?

Thanks,
Tom_B

Old 11-25-01, 01:33 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Tom, In reply to "By the way:
How does one know if waiting several months after a new software operating system or program will infact have less BUGS"

The only way I know to make sure a program isn't full of bugs is to listen to what others using it have to say. The first thing I do when considering an addition to my system is get into 4-5 forums like this one and look at the current postings followed by a search of the archives at each forum on the subject and this will give you pretty good insight. If problems still exist you will know because we all grumble a lot when attempting to work with buggy software. Beyond buying and testing yourself I know no other way to be sure.
As for "I would be inclined to assume that once the program or system is released on CD, it never gets rewritten and reissued on another later version of CD." I think this in general is true but a glaring example of how 8 thousand M$ people can miss something and the problem appear on more than one version is when using SFC in Windows 98 and 98se it will turn up that user.exe needs to be updated or replaced. Clicking yes to this will render your computer unusable because the file will be replaced with a completely unrelated file. If you can't trust System File Checker to let you know when a file needs attention what is one to do? I jump in the forums and keep a list around of things not to do or to be done.
It seems to me that new forum software always is buggy, not just here, but everywhere I go......Mike

Old 11-25-01, 04:43 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: Mike

Thanks once again for replying back to my questions posted within this forum topic. Your insightful, well explained and detailed explanations are always much appreciated.

Excellent point made in reply to the first question I posed. I would venture to say the old phrases remain applicable.

CONSUMER BEWARE!!!
You never know what your getting until after the purchase...LOL

REPAIR SHOPS:
Never enough time to do it correct the first time, while being paid, but always enough time, to redo it over again when your not being paid....hahaha

BUSINESSES:
Hurry up and get the $$##!% product out now and we'll fix the problems later.....hahaha

I light of all of this, still seem's un-imaginable to me, to write a software program, such as the one used on this forum, and still have so many BUGS, considering the writers have the ability to first see how it is used, presently functions, understand and use the existing software.

In the case of being an employer, I would demand answers and not except excuses, for errors such as these and in cases such as this from my employees. OFF WITH THEIR HEADS???....hahaha

It seems that we, as customers, are willing to overlook problems with newly released software but would not expect nor except the same in other consumer products. Equally for the commerical consumer such as this site.

And exceptable by the companies that produce the BUGGY software products. It's then exceptable to spend hours, days and possibly months after release {sale} writing patches and fixes instead of doing such prior to releases.

Regards and
Thanks again.
TomB
"Accurate Power Equipment Company"

BTW:
Once again, as always, I exceeded BOTH the time allotment and word limit for posting......hahahaha

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 11-25-01 at 05:05 AM.
Old 11-27-01, 08:06 AM
One problem with making a bug free forum is the code writters don't always know the exact reason the board went down. No matter how carefull you are, it does need to be idiot proof, what could a user do that the writter may say "why would they do that ?" like repeatively clicking post or submit without waiting for the site to respond. You must think of every unlikely senerio and write the software so it less likely to crash.

At what point do you stop providing updates and provide a new less bugged version. And of course charging the consumer for the new version when really it is a fixed bug version of a previously released software that you have already paid for. And who is to say that 25 bugs have been fixed, only to create 5 new ones.

Who is to say that the new software in that 747 aircraft that by coincidents has never flown at exactly ??? logatute and ??? latitute , of all the thousands of flights that a 747 has flown , it has never flown at this exact location on this planet, one day that software program on that aircraft will crash because of a bug that no-one every new was their and the aircraft was never in that location before.

And why do we have to pay for a new version of software when basicly it is not much more than than a supposively big free version of a previous release.

Old 11-27-01, 03:19 PM
Quoting
"It seems that we, as customers, are willing to overlook problems with newly released software but would not expect nor except the same in other consumer products. Equally for the commerical consumer such as this site. "

I don't think so. Interactive forums and websites are new products. Less than five years old. Let's talk about how tempramental the first VCRs were with the old 3/4" tape or the 1/2" reel to reel VCRs.

How about cars the buggy Model A or the Stanley Steamer.

The first few models or airplanes were also known by the number or pilots who died trying to make them fly.

Anyway, you're not touching on the real problem driving all this need to change on this website. Hackers!!! Most of the upgrades is webservers, the upgrades in browsers, and software like this happens because security concerns. Idiots with big egos and too much time on their hands try to hack every web site out there. The programmers are scrambling to stay ahead let alone worrying about making sure the software works on every browser ever made.

You want reliable forum software. Unix command line software for newsgroups and gopher sites. Sorry, I've been there buggy web software beats it by a mile.