Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

ISA I/O LPT-1 card

11-24-01, 03:04 PM   #1  
ISA slot for I/O LPT-1 port

I think he is trying to ask if using an ISA printer card so he can run a printer that will not work with a belkin data switch. However since the computer is only 8 months old he wants to know if anyone has run an ISA card in that one ISA slot in order to save the high price of a PCI I/O printer card. Maybe this will make it through this time????? Marturo

Sponsored Links

IL

11-27-01, 06:36 PM   #2  
For any ISA cards your probably going to have to look long and hard for dealer or a hobbyist willing to sell. The quit making them awhile back.

I'm not sure if it would work for this printer but they do make 9pin to 25pin adapters. Then you could use a COM port. If it is an older printer it might work.

The other thing to do is lay out some money for an auto switch that is rated for laser printers. This is an active device that can automatically switch you without the printer knowing about it. They run $50 to $100.

11-28-01, 08:01 AM   #3  
Isa P/O Printer card

Thanks for the write back. I had tried three times to post a question to Computers and it ended up in Plumbing and other boards. So here goes. I built a box on a KT7-A Abit MB with all parts Drives etc. with DMA 100 and DDR even the Memory is DDR. I have a brand new ISA Adaptec I/O Printer card. All I want to know is has anyone set up a box with everything up to date 8 mos ago and used that one ISA slot for an I/O card then wished they had used the PCI I/O card instead. Will it some how clash with the rest of the system or did Abit put that 1 ISA slot on the MB to use for slow Apps like a printer. I know about the Belkin automatics and would buy a $66.00 PCI I/O card before buying the Data Switch box. If I can't use the printer on the HP OJ 300 Fax, Copier, Printer, the HP DJ 895cxi does a fine job of printing through the present LPT-1 port. I just had a new ISA printer card and if it will not hurt the performance of my machine by using old technology then I will use the ISA card for B/W printing with the HP OJ 300. I just wonder why they put 6 PCIs and one ISA on board if you could not use the ISA slot, why include it with this new ABIT Mother board, why not just give us another PCI slot. Thank's again, Marturo

Last edited by marturo; 11-29-01 at 04:45 PM.

IL

11-29-01, 07:15 PM   #4  
I actually bought that MB because it did have an ISA slot. It is about the only one left. My reason was I had a very expensive ($10k) at work. The whole system is was based on an ISA card. The computer the card was in was dying of old age but the system still worked great.

Beyond legacy system cards there is not much use for ISA slot. Almost all new MB only have PCI and AGP. I know of no P4 board that has an ISA slot.

If you don't need the slot ignore it.

11-29-01, 08:55 PM   #5  
ISA I/O

I thought it might be something like that. Old software rare and unavailable. You mentioned an adapter that goes into the com 1 or 2 port to the printer cable. I bought one thinking that I could run this HP OJ 300 from a com port but I could never get it into the set up stage my fault i'm sure. Now when I brought this 3 N1 HP OJ 300 home, I hooked into LPT-1 and set up the FAX and the Copier but never used it as a printer. So I have been using the HP DJ 895cxi for everything on LPT-1. The black and white printing is much better on the 300 than the Color copier and that's the reason I want to use the ISA card just to let the printer have it's own LPT-1 and all I will have to do is change default printers when I need one or the other. I'm an @HOME customer so this may be my last post untill I can get MA BELL to hook me up to ADSL. @HOME goes to Court Tommorow and 4 million of us are about to lose our ISP. Thanks for your help I'll be back soon. Thanks Marturo

Search this Thread