Windows

Old 12-06-01, 12:43 PM
Visiting Guest
Windows

Does anybody know the trick to upgrade from 95 to 98 using the full installation disk for 98 (I don't want to fully install and wipe out everything I already have.)

Old 12-07-01, 01:08 PM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Nope

If it's not the upgrade it won't do it. That copy is made for a clean install. You should be able to save your address book etc to floppy. If you have a large hard drive I would most certainly partition it so if, no when you have to do this again in a year or two you can save or already have saved all your pictures, email, address books etc. to a different drive/partition.

Old 12-08-01, 05:51 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
BigMike is right, you can't do an upgrade with a full version. It makes no sense because Microsoft gets more money if you buy the full version instead of the upgrade disk.

However, you don't need to reformat if you're worried about losing data but you will need a full Win98 System floppy or a computer that will boot from the Win98 CD.

Boot from one of these two disks. Rename the Windows directory, i.e. win_old. Next move all the files out of the root directory into a folder. Be warned, though, you need to know you Dos commands and this is a oneway trip.

On the other hand, you own a legitimate copy of Win98 just borrow a friends upgrade disk. If you ever need more files in the future the full version disk will work just fine.

Old 12-08-01, 06:24 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
mrhoadar

I am so used to doing a back up and formating that's just the way I think. I am about to format here again. Network problems, another PCI Etherfast failed in the same computer but different slot. Never seen anything like it. Anyway do like mr advises, I like to format the drive to make sure it's clean of any viruses etc.

Old 12-08-01, 10:16 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Way off topic here,

BigMike,

Sounds like it is a power spiking problems from the MB or a bad lot of cards. Were you using the same network port on both cards? Power surge down the UTP cable can take out a card; maybe a bad port on the hub

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: