Fatal Exception Error in Windows

Old 11-28-01, 08:57 AM
xiii13
Visiting Guest
Angry Fatal Exception Error in Windows

Help!!! My daughter accidently turned off her Windows 95 computer before the "It is safe to turn off your computer" screen, and now it wont start Windows. I get the dreaded blue screen with the error message:

A Fatal Exception OD has Occured at 2077:00006C14.

Any clues as how to fix this without re-installing windows. I really don't want to do that.

Last edited by xiii13; 11-28-01 at 11:11 AM.
Old 11-28-01, 04:57 PM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Boot disk

Find your Startup Disk (floppy) that I hope you have. Boot from it. At one point you will be asked to start in Safe Mode, actually I think it a multiple choice question. Do so and get the 95 CD in the drive. Hopefully a simple reinstall will do it. You wont lose anything that way. It's been so long since I have dealt with 95 seriously but we should still be able to recover it... Most likely the kernel32.dll was damaged and now wont let anything run...

Old 11-29-01, 06:30 AM
xiii13
Visiting Guest
I'll try copying the kernel32.dll file from my other '95 computer to see if that works.

I once re-installed '95 and had to re-install all my programs again to make it work properly. I do not want to do that again. It took hours!

Old 11-29-01, 07:34 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool kernel32

I did not say that was the problem. That's why I asked you to boot from the floppy, get into safe mode and check your device manager to rule out a driver/hardware problem. Shut down, remove the floppy from the drive, reboot. If it comes back up in normal mode then again search device manager for conflicts. Find any repair them. If not it will take a little more work. At this time you can run Install programming from the Control Panel. Install Windoze programs... And choose to repair if it comes up but reinstall all programming you want. Shouldn't take more than and hour. How is ur memory? Windoze really likes as much RAM as you can get in it. (Name a windoze program that don't)
Keeping software fresh is the key folks, keep latest drivers on, not nessaccarily new hardware all the time but in the beginning get top of the line hardware. Easy to find drivers for, so it's supported. Easy to get exchanged if defective under warranty.
There are a lot of people that have to have the fastest, biggest, meanest system on the block. But think about what the majority if us do, email, Quake Tomb Raider type games, office stuff. Point is, a maintained 350 CPU and LOTS of memory will last a couple of years at least. I have an AMD 266 that is over clocked, crammed with memory, latest drivers and it is one of the most faithfull computers I have. And it's 5 years old. Long winded ain't I?

Old 11-29-01, 08:19 AM
xiii13
Visiting Guest
I've checked for conflicts, turned off all TSR and booted from a floppy. Still get error message.

Memory is fine at 128mb. Comuter is a Dell 166mhz. Computer ran fine for 5 years until early shut off. Some of my drivers are probably a little old, I try to keep on that. But that should not be a problem if it worked fine before the early shut off. I ran a bootlog.txt file and it says it is failing while loading a TTF font.

Old 11-29-01, 09:03 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool True Type Fonts

http://support.microsoft.com/default...146904&GSSNB=1
This is what I found on the Windoze search pages. It looks like what you are after. Been a long time for 95 but seems I remember this being a frequent problem on a hard shut down. I get a little bossy sometimes, sorry...

Old 11-29-01, 12:32 PM
xiii13
Visiting Guest
No Luck

Went to website and printed instructions - no luck - still have problems

Old 11-29-01, 01:24 PM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Unless someone else has a better idea I would try to come up in safe mode, or boot to the "A" prompt and retrieve whatever you can from your email etc and format and start over. Once something this bad happens it's a coin toss as to whether or not you get it back. I cant think of anything else right off hand. You may just for S&G (Sighs & Grins) pull everything out of the computer but HD, 31/2 floppy and video and see if it boots. I can't imagine what peripheral failure would cause this but I have seen some strange stuff here lately.

Old 11-29-01, 07:32 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Just in case you didn't know this to get into safe mode you press F8 as soon as you see the words "Starting Windows 95"

You should be then get a menu. Choose "Command Prompt Only Safe Mode" This will keep all the TSRs and drivers from loading. At this point about all you can do is run scandisk and defrag. I don't think 95 had the tool for scanning the registry if it does its call scanreg. Run this programs in that order and then reboot.

Another option on that menu lets you run a log file. Looking at this log might tell you which applicaiton is causing the problem.

Old 11-30-01, 07:18 AM
xiii13
Visiting Guest
Upgrade

Instead of screwing around and re-installing Windows 95 how about if I upgrade to Windows 98? Or because I have a problem with '95 am I asking for trouble?

If this idea is good? Do you know if I can still get the Upgrade and where?

Old 11-30-01, 07:52 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Well

Thanks Mrhoadar I did forget to mention that. Gettin old I guess. No I do not suggest doing an upgrade over and current fouled OS. You are stuck with have to reinstall. Besides 98 will not run on that 166, it just might but it will be slow to say the least.

Old 11-30-01, 01:10 PM
xiii13
Visiting Guest
Fixed

I went in and turned off Adobe Type Manager and it booted right up into Windows. Uninstalled and re-installed ATM and all Type 1 fonts and she works like she used to.

Thanks for all the great tips!!!

Old 11-30-01, 01:52 PM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
curious

I am curious as to what led you to this discovery? I have never seen Adobe cause a problem like this or even mentioned. Thanks...

Old 12-03-01, 06:47 AM
xiii13
Visiting Guest
Sorry for the delay. It was a Honeydu weekend.

My daughter needed to print out a report from the computer. So I booted up into safe mode and luckily the QuarkXpress worked. When she printed it out the fonts were all wrong. So I went and looked and none of the fonts were listed even though they were on the hard drive. I shut off ATM and it booted up normally.

Somebody told me that when windows shuts down it updates the atmfonts.qlc file. It must of been corrupt. Any way it works just fine now.

While I got your attention!

When I first puchased the Dell it would turn itself off automatically when Windows '95 was shut down, for the past two years I have to turn it off manually. I have looked in all the settings to correct this to no avail. Where do I set it to turn off automatically on Windows '95 shutdown? Is this set in the Bios, or in Windows?

Last edited by xiii13; 12-03-01 at 10:46 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: