Win 95 shutdown

Old 11-28-01, 10:24 PM
Swamprose
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Win 95 shutdown

Hi fellas, I have a couple of ??s, please. When I try to boot up my Am486DX4-S CPU @ 120mhz the Win95 logo displays, and if I press esc the display for safe mode is highlited. When I press 3 for it to start in safe mode it works for awhile then displays the message, IT IS NOW SAFE TO TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER. But a quick message states error loading gid.exe. You must reinstall windows. I tried this with my 98 disk, which went thru the motions then stated I already had a op on my puter, and I needed the 95 upgrade. Is not 98 the upgrade, and can anyone say why it won't go into safe mode? Is it because of the gdi.exe file?
Also, it has only 32 mgs. mem.
The date in the Bios setup keeps jumping to 2094, but the battery is built into the motherboard.
The boy next door had the puter apart, and I put it back together, but I don't think I have the floppy completely connected, for it says I have no disk in there when I do. Tried copying the gdi file from a floppy to the win95 sys.
I also have a neat program called DM [directory magic] and one called Where. At the c or d command prompt all I do is type dm and it shows all the files on that drive. If I can't find a file I can use the Where to search the drive. If anyone needs a copy I will share. It was given to me, but by whom, I have no idea, for I've been using them over five years. Thanks to all, Swamprose

Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-01, 04:51 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Oldie

Man that's a door stop! The GDI file is the display, why are you hitting ESC during boot up? To see the splash screen (POST) while it boots? Try hitting (1) instead, Boot normal.)) Does it boot then? Also it sounds like the BIOS battery has failed. We just went thru this not long ago. Those batteries do fail,. although not often. It will have to be unsoldered and replaced. Another way to test this theory is to pick up the new battery, usualy 3 Volts, also pick up some small electronic jumper wires, with the little aligator clips on the ends. If you can see the positive and negeitve post on the battery that is soldered to the board you can clip on to it and boot, see if the problem goes away. If so, replace the battery. The battery should be soldered in, the jumper thing is a test and if the jumper should fall off and make a contact on the motherboard u can kiss it goodbye If the BIOS battery has failed that will be the root of your problems.

Old 11-29-01, 07:31 AM
Swamprose
Visiting Guest
windows shutdown

Hi again, BigMike, appreciate your reply, and I'll try what you suggested. Only thing is, I haven't been able to spot the battery. It's usually a round silver disc, but for the life of me, I cannot seem to see it. Will look again.
The reason I used the esc key, was because each time I booted up, an if I chose not to go into the Bios, the puter would stop and say invalid system disk, replace and try again. Somehow, hitting the esc key put me into the safe mode request screen. Maybe I was just doing it wrong.
Will get back to you on this clock thing, and what about the GDI deal since the sys won't let me reinstall?
Also, are there several, or just one connections to the floppy??
Again, my thanks----------Swamprose

Old 11-29-01, 07:46 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Backwards

There must be a plug in backwards, or loose from the motherboard. Does the floppy even POST? Check for a disk during boot up? The cables will have a red or blue stripe on the cable itself, that is pin one. Almost every piece of equipment is marked with pin one. Sounds like a cable failure.
That program is really not needed, at any C: prompt (A/C/D) and type <DIR> (no brackets) and all contents will be displayed. To much info flying by? Type <dir/p> then hit <enter> and the screen will pause at each page. <dir/p/w> The "W" meaning wide and breaks dir down to the files.

Old 11-29-01, 11:42 AM
Swamprose
Visiting Guest
Window shutdown

I have a cable marked P10 coming from the power supply with green & black wires. Should they be connected?
No, the floppy is checked enabled in Bios, but it does not show on post. I checked the cables. There is a small white one plugged in and a ribbon plugged in right beside it. What should be connected to the motherboard and where?? Thanks, Swamprose.

Old 11-29-01, 12:10 PM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
The ribbon should feed down to the mother board and plug in. It's smaller than the 40 pin IDE port and may have 2 but doubt it. It will have the line on the cable showing pin one. Pin one should be marked on the board as well as the floppy.

Old 11-29-01, 01:17 PM
Swamprose
Visiting Guest
Windows shutdown

BM, I checked the ribbon, which is connected to the motherboard the only place it could possibly go. I took a photo and am sending it with this response. Hope this is ok with the forum. Maybe you could just look at the cables left over, and tell me if they should be connected, especially the four hole one and the green & black marked P10. Please let me know if the file comes thru. Thanks as always, Swamprose PS Seems my photo was too large, wasn't sure if that meant only one byte or not---would be a tiny file.

Old 11-29-01, 02:29 PM
Swamprose
Visiting Guest
Windows shutdown.

I unplugged the power cables from the motherboard to see the numbers written on each. One is marked P9 w/ 3red wires 1 white and two black.
the P8 has 2 black 1 blue 1 yellow 1 red and 1 orange wire.
the P10 wasn't connected, but as I said, it has green an black wires. Can you tell me which of these three are actually supposed to be connected to the mb? Swamprose

Old 11-29-01, 02:51 PM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
P10 shouldn't be hooked up I think. Is there anyway u can find out what motherboard it is?

Old 11-29-01, 03:21 PM
Swamprose
Visiting Guest
windows shutdown

is there a way to tell the make of the mb w/o dismanteling the computer? I looked at the board but saw no name of anykind, only the chips have markings it looks like, but I'll certainl look again. thanks for the help, and the P10 wasn't connected when I first checked it either. The P8 connects next to the power supply on the mb and the P9 alongside it, I think. wonder if there is a correct position for either.

Search this Thread