Automatic shutdown

Old 12-04-01, 05:43 AM
xiii13
Visiting Guest
Question Automatic shutdown

Dell 166mhz with 128mb ram

When I first puchased my Dell it would turn itself off automatically when Windows '95 was shut down. For the past two years I have to turn it off manually. I have looked in all the settings to correct this to no avail. Where do I set it to turn off automatically on Windows '95 shutdown? Is this set in the Bios, or in Windows?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-01, 09:29 AM
BSB
It may be in both. I think its APM (C?) Advanced power managment configurations. If I remember correctly the main setup should be in your bios. I thnk its "soft-power" or soft shutdown, I can't remember, and since I never had a tower that gave me that options I never cared to learn or look in to it that much. I think that both windows and the bois has to be set up. if only one or the other is set up, it may not work correctly. Under windows it may also be called ACPI power I dont know what it stands for, but I think it has to be set up to give you the soft powerdown that you were once getting.

Maybe next week when I get my (finally going to ATX) system running will have a better understanding of this hands free power down marvel.

Brian

Old 12-06-01, 02:44 AM
xiii13
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

Went to APM in Windows and changed some settings with no luck! Looked at the BIOS and APM is turned on. Finally called Dell and waited 65 minutes to talk to a techie, who tryed to charge me a fee. His answer - reinstall windows.

Old 12-07-01, 01:19 AM
Go to www.google.com and search for windows 95 shutdown problems. There are several.

Old 12-07-01, 02:52 AM
xiii13
Visiting Guest
Already tried searching the net for this problem. it must not be very common because I can't find any articles on it.

Old 12-07-01, 09:44 AM
BSB
ONly thing that comes to mind is the registry. All searches have only provide an NT soft power trick, non for 95/98 because it's not a trick, supposed to automatic. (so long as you have a MOBO that supports it) Most of what I found suggested shutting down apm in windows if it's on, or turning it on if it's off. (lots of help there) since you already made sure it was on in bios. You might think about checking your registry, under hkey_local/microsoft/current_version (would need to dbl chk the path) and adding the NT trick line if its not there. I dont know if that would work, or what problems it would cause. I would be willing to bet that if it's in the right spot there would be no problems caused, but it may not work.

Brian

p.s. to clarify you are getting the "it is now safe to shut down windows" and not getting stuck on the "please wait shutting down" correct??? And you are having to manualy push the power switch were as before you did not?

Last edited by BSB; 12-07-01 at 10:38 AM.
Old 12-11-01, 02:32 AM
xiii13
Visiting Guest
I am getting the "it is now safe to shut down windows" screen. I have to turn off the computer by pushing in the power switch.

When the computer was new, it shut itself off automatically when you exited Windows.

Old 12-12-01, 03:49 AM
Visiting Guest
Very Common problem

xiii13,

This is a very common problem and there are several reasons why this could happen. In your case I believe it is a APM problem it's probably your MB Bios. You can try disabling APM from the Power Icon in the control panel reboot and then try shutting down again, if it shuts down again then it is probably a compatibilty problem with APM in the MB Bios.

....Now that I re-read your post it may not be a bios problem since it did work initially, it could very well be an application usually one that is running in your task bar that is "hanging" at shutdown and not allowing windows to complete shutdown. Norton Antivirus is one that tends to cause this problem. You can try killing or disabling some of the apps that are running in the backround one by one to see if you can find the culprit.

I think Ichabod found some really good links that can help you in your troubleshooting.

Robert
A+, MCSE-NT4,MCP+I,W2KMCP