Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

faster surfing

12-04-01, 11:10 PM   #1  
faster surfing

a few months ago there was a post that had info on the settings in internet options for a faster loading page.not real sure who posted bsb i believe.well ,forgot the info did a search of the archives here no luck.if anyone knows what i am talking about please post back thank you

Sponsored Links

WI

12-05-01, 10:02 AM   #2  
Just so happens that after finding the site that outlines most of the hints and tips I did a smart thing. ( a rarity on my part) I bookmarked it. There are two ways of speeding up connectivity. One is to adjust the settings in your registry, the other is to let a program do it for you (such as tweakdun). Anyhow here is the link to adjust your MTU's:

http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/30/

You may even do a search at www.download.com for modem optimizing, or something for a program to do it for you.

Another thing you can do is to adjust the system setting that says "let windows manage my space" (I forget where thats at) and set it to 256 or double your RAM.

Another trick I have heard of and have tried when playing OLRPG's is to add a line in your win.ini file (gonna write this down some day) under the 386enh section add a line similar to this:

Allocate 4096k of memory to the irq # the modem is using in the win.ini file under 386enh (i.e irq5=4096) (or irq6=4096). you will need to find the irq your modem is using. Don't use one of the above unless that is what your modem is using.

this line should set aside a set amount of memory for your modem, and that should theoretcaly improve modem performace and downloads.

Brian.

p.s. original discussion is here.

http://forum.doityourself.com/showth...ghlight=dialup

12-05-01, 10:01 PM   #3  
thanks brian gonna check it out right now

Search this Thread