Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

printer demon

Visiting Guest

12-06-01, 01:57 AM   #1  
quincyguy
printer demon

A weird one, friends....
I turned in a perfectly ok HP 1100 for printing very vague characters. I was told it was "an optics problem" by the techies,
although some experts here at DIY didn't buy it. They were right.
So - now my brand spiffy new E210 Lexmark is doing the same thing!
Prints nicely from black characters, but very vaguely from other colors, especially red. Am convinced the problem is in what the printer is being told by the pc.
A call to our help-desk referred me to the techies who were unable to diagnose the HP 1100 !
Any thoughts out there in pc-expert land?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

12-06-01, 02:41 AM   #2  
xiii13
What type of fonts are you using? True Type or Adobe Type 1? Are you running Adobe Type Manager? What program are you in when this problem happens? Or is it all programs? Need more info.

Visiting Guest

12-06-01, 03:12 AM   #3  
quincyguy
When I'm printing anything, off the net or e-mail - anything.
Red characters are the least legible, with blues almost as bad.
The pc has Windows 98, and has Adobe loaded.

This thing reared its ugly head a few months ago, and I think
either myself or some other goof got into it and clicked on something which shouldn't have been messed with.

It looks like all programs are affected. I use Lotus Notes a lot
and the copies are very vague, even to the point I can't fax them.
I hope I'm being of some help to you here

Visiting Guest

12-06-01, 06:16 AM   #4  
xiii13
Try This

Since it is happening on two different printers, I don't think it is the print drivers. It just might be Adobe Type Manager.

Open ATM up. Make sure it is on. Go to the settings tab, then Advanced tab.

The following should all be checked on.

Smooth font edges on screen
Use Pre-built or resident fonts
Check for New or Removed Type 1 fonts on start up.

Close all and re-boot, if the problem persists go back into ATM, Settings, Advanced and check

Print Fonts as graphics. Some pinters need this setting to work properly.

Re-Boot.

I don't know if this is the problem, but it is a starting point. It is weird that it prints fine in black but colors come out screwed up.
Good Luck!

Visiting Guest

12-06-01, 07:34 AM   #5  
quincyguy
I have Adobe Reader 4.0 on this thing.
What if I downlaod Adobe Type Manager and then pre-flight
by going through your clearly stated instuctions
Couldn't hurt; right?
Think it might 'hit' on the problem and do the deed?
Now, wouldn't that be a something!!

What do you think

Visiting Guest

12-06-01, 08:09 AM   #6  
xiii13
Adobe Acrobat reader is not the same thing. Adobe Type Manager is for rendering Type 1 fonts. Check to see if you have ATM by looking thru your programs, it likes to install itself in Accesories. You could always download Adobe Type Manager Light 4.1 for free from Adobe's website, but you need the fonts to go along with it, and as far as I know you have to pay for them. But maybe someone has a site to download them. I work in the graphics industry and have over 1,000 fonts, but I had to pay for every one of them.

If you don't have ATM then you are using Microsoft True Type fonts. To people in my profession they are a joke, (just my opinion Mr. Gates).

You might have a corrupt fonts folder. The only way I know to fix this is to download Tweak UI from Microsoft. I can't remember where it is on thier website, It has been so long since I downloaded it. Once downloaded you can rebuild your fonts folder with it.

Visiting Guest

12-06-01, 09:25 AM   #7  
xiii13
Another Thought

I'm not familiar with your printer, but does your printer driver have an Economode. If it does and it is turned on, your type will be terrible looking and very faint.

Just something else to look for.

How about deleting all your printers out of your printers folder and all files associated with them, Windows will ask you if you want to do this, click on yes. Reboot and re-install the printer.

I have also seen where installing updates to Netscape can screw up printing. Do you use Netscape?

Can't think of anything else!

CAL

12-06-01, 11:16 AM   #8  
Have you tired to print a test page from the printer? Not using the computer, there should be a test print button or menu on the printer. If it prints well, the problem is with the software on the PC. If it prints with defects, the problem in in the printer itself.
This would at least norrow your area of searching for the true problem.

Visiting Guest

12-07-01, 02:55 AM   #9  
xiii13
Another Thought

How about the printer cable? Did you use the same one for both printers? Just another idea!!!

Visiting Guest

12-07-01, 04:09 AM   #10  
quincyguy
Thank you all for the help.
The powers-that-be sent a guru in to check it out, and she :
A) read all of your inputs, and took them quite seriously
B) tried a few things from her own experience
C) took hard copies of all of your inputs to her office
D) still vague printing - but things are happening.
I'll be delighted to update you all as the show goes on..

As they say
"Stay tuned"
Thanks again
Jim

CAL

12-07-01, 04:16 AM   #11  
Did she do the self test? Did it print out ok? This is the first step in isolation of the problem, either PC or Printer. Divide and conquer!!!!

Visiting Guest

12-07-01, 04:34 AM   #12  
xiii13
I agree with Trying2Help. You have to isolate the problem. Print a test page from the printers front panel and see what happens.

Visiting Guest

12-07-01, 05:10 AM   #13  
quincyguy
Looking at the pc - printer was found innocent of all charges.
the cable was checked and is fine.
Like I said- she read all your stuff and followed up - no ego problems; a most definite asset in a pc detective.
On a sliding scale of importance, a dodgy printer is a 1.
She had other things on her list. The best always seem to, whether they're pc people, doctors, mechanics - people like you.
Thanks again. I'll get back when she does

Visiting Guest

12-07-01, 12:28 PM   #14  
bigmike
Tweak UI

Tweak UI is found on the 95 & 98 cd's in tools I believe. If not I have it. Tweak UI is a wonderfull program that will rebuild damaged fonts, log in you network passes etc. As well as romve the ugly little arrows on icons on the desktop, actually everywhere. It has start up help, shut down help etc. An amazing program for only a few kilobytes. If for some reason you cannot locate it on the cd's then try www.zdnet.com or www.tucows.com
But I concure with xiii13, there is a font problem, corrupt etc. And why wouldn't you love Mr. Gates font system?

Visiting Guest

12-19-01, 03:44 AM   #15  
quincyguy
printer demon

Haven't forgeotten!!!
I've put out an email request to somebody (anybody) here at work who can download Tweak UI without dropping an overripe grapefruit in it.
From the ZDNET reviews it looks like something deserving a trained person to set it up.
No feedback as yet from our help people
Scout's honor - I'll let everybody know what's up with this thing
when they fix it.
Merry Christmas & thanks again

Visiting Guest

12-19-01, 04:29 AM   #16  
bigmike
Tweak

I have no idea what you are talking about. Tweak should be no larger than 303 kb and when you download it dbl click on the tweak.cnt file. It will say "Tweak cannot run for whatever, It needs to run from the control panel, do you want to install Tweak UI now." Say yes, it installs in an instant. Go into control panel and run thru the different tabs. It is very cut and dry and made for the average user. If you don't understand something in one of the tabs don't touch it and ask us and we will answer. Like I said, I have been using it for years now, very nice program.

Visiting Guest

12-19-01, 06:09 AM   #17  
xiii13
Tweak UI

I've got Tweak UI for '95 on diskette if you need it. Just let me know I'll zip it to you.

bigmike is right. You have to install it from control panel. It is easy to use!

Visiting Guest

01-03-02, 03:55 AM   #18  
quincyguy
Again, troops- many thanks, but it was a series of coincidences!
Two bad laser cartridges in a row, an empty
cartridge and a bad replacement ( reman) cartridge in the 1st printer, which led to it being turned in.
Then the new Lexmark E210 was doing very vague prints, also causing me to get concerned about the pc.
A new (factory) cartridge was recommended for the Lexmark and now it's fine.
Many thanks for the help. Also - we have people around here enthused about about Tweak UI!!

Happy new Year

Visiting Guest

01-03-02, 04:11 AM   #19  
bigmike
Reman

I started to ask you if you were using a reman print head. Some of those work without a hitch, others wouldn't work if you begged them. I actually found aftermarket ink etc for my Cannon that worked. I also was taught all about laser toner when I bought my Oki. There is positive charged toner and negative charged toner. Some are lighter some darker, different mixes and on and on... Never knew that there were so many mixes, I was used to Toshiba, Samsung, HP, Cannon. The Oki was a learning experience!

01-04-02, 05:04 AM   #20  
I've run into similar problems with a defective (or close to) printer port, or cable, or interference of some sort. First, if not done already, take the printer and print off another PC. If all fine, then the printer is ok. Second, make sure the printer port in the BIOS is set to EPP+ECP if available. Before I start to reinstall the whole OS I would get a add-on parallel port card (I've seen some for $15), and print off of that one. That should solve the problem. If not, then return...and time to reinstall....
You're of course connecting the printer straight into the PC, not through a ZIP drive or scanner....

Search this Thread