Defrag and scandisk problems

Old 12-08-01, 12:40 PM
Chanel
Visiting Guest
Question Defrag and scandisk problems

I am having trouble with my defragment and scan disk, since I removed some things from my start up menu. When I try to scan, after ten tries, I get a message saying something is running in the background. Before I removed the things from my start up menu, I would run my defrag almost every evening, and never had any trouble. It would complete in a couple of minutes. Can anyone tell me what might be wrong?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-01, 04:11 PM
Visiting Guest
Removing files of any type is always a risky proposition. I need to know what you removed and how. Also, do you remember seeing a message somewhat similar to " file is shared but no longer in use by any programs" and did you delete it?

Old 12-09-01, 12:05 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Chanel, Try running Scandisk in Safemode. This will take out any clashes that may exist. If you get a good scan this way reboot and disable antivirus and screensaver and try a scan in Windows. Defrag will not run in safemode. Hint: For the best help always include operating system and version of Windows....Good Luck....Mike

Old 12-09-01, 10:24 AM
Visiting Guest
If you litteraly deleted the things on the menu (with out running the un-install programs utility) then all you did was delet the start menu shortcuts for what ever it was. So the programs would still be there. If it says something is runnign in the background, you've probably got a problem with your virus scan or anything you have in the system tray down in the lower right-hand corner. Try un-loading a few of those programs before scanning.

Old 12-10-01, 09:41 AM
Chanel
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up Thank you

Thanks for helping me again. I didn't delete anything, I just went to this site> http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_pages/t.htm and unchecked just the things it said were safe to take out of start up. For some reason after I did that, my defrag and disk scan wouldn't run right. Now I have downloaded Power Defrag. I like the way it works. Hope this solves my problem.