Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

HP Laserjet III

Visiting Guest

12-11-01, 02:26 AM   #1  
xiii13
HP Laserjet III

I've got an HP Laserjet III that has given me years & years of service. Lately it is doing what I call "Ghosting".

If I print out six or seven lines of text, at the top of the page, parts of the same text are appearing in the bottom of the page and they are very faint.

Does this warrant a new cartridge or is the fuser assembly bad. I just had the entire fuser assembly replaced a year ago.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

12-11-01, 06:33 AM   #2  
Marshall Buttre
This is more than likely the cartridge. I don't believe the fuser can cause ghosting. My bet, 99%, the cartridge, and not expensive to prove.

Marshall Buttrey

WI

12-11-01, 09:59 AM   #3  
Before you order a new cartridge, if you have not already... clean the charge, transfer and erase coronas. the transfer are the two exposed wires inside two channels (if you can follow that) The printer may come with a cleaning adapter that you set in the channel and push it back and forth, the charge corona shoudl have a little green handle the pulls out. Pull it in and out a few times th make sure its clean.

Chances are that either the cleaning blade worn out or the cleaning lamp/discharge is leaving a risidual charge on the drum and it attracting a small amount of toner. Most of the time a worn cleaning blade will leave a few lines on the prints aswell as a ghost image. if you pull out the drum cartridge and pull back the drum protector you can look at the drum and tell if its a cleaning blade problem. will be lite dusting of toner on the drum.

If its a discharge or cleaning lamp problem you will have to replace the cartrigde unless you have worked on a drum unit before you will not be able to fix it. Those drum units are a real B*tch to take a part with out making a mess.

BE VERY CAREFULL with the transfer/sep wires if you break one you have to get a new assembly, not cheap. use a q-tip and iso or spit (yummy) and gentrly scrub the wires. Also clean the sides of the channel. Dont use paper towels to clean up the mess will jsut spread it around, cut up an old t-shirt instead and a little bit of 409 or simple green to clean up any excess toner.

G'luck

Brian

Visiting Guest

12-12-01, 03:05 AM   #4  
xiii13
I cleaned the one corona wire I found, don't know which one it was. Works fine now. Thanks BSB for saving me from buying an expensive cartridge.

WI

12-12-01, 09:17 AM   #5  
Glad to be of service.

If you open the printer ( I asume its a clam shell type, hinged on one side) and the wire you cleaned on the bottom (below the drum cartridge) then it was the transfer/separation corona. You should be able to clean the charge wire by either a slide unit on top of the drum cartridge or by pulling a slide bar out the (assuming again) upper left side of the unit. The fuser for personal printers usualy last for the life of the printer, if it ever goes bad its almost cheaper to buy a new printer, rather then have a shop fix it. You could see a bill near $250+ for a fuser rebuild.

Brian

Search this Thread