Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Compaq IJ900

12-11-01, 03:03 AM   #1  
Compaq IJ900

Keep getting "there is a problem with the printer" and "Printer needs servicing" messages. Bought new cable, uninstalled, reinstalled, did quick restore, and even did a complete restore with disk. Nothing is helping. Any suggestions?

P.S. Can the cartridges cause this problem? Was a few times I couldn't even get them to move into position to be changed. Wife was told she could fool the puter when the cartridges showed to be empty by going through the change process as if she had actually changed them and still use the printer for a while. Could this be the problem? I even tried disabling the Ink Smart feature.

Sponsored Links

WI

12-11-01, 09:23 AM   #2  
what operating system are you using, what printer, how is it connected, and other tibids you deem important. have serviced printers for several years (thankheavens I no longer do it) and have never seen a printer problem caused by a cable "just" going bad. Only see em go bad when put under stress. If you are using win2k I dont know what the problem is, but I have to re-install the OS yet a third time, dropped my printer and has corrupted the registry so no other programs can be installed. not very happy. registry backup you say? maybe will remmember this time.

brian

12-11-01, 09:37 PM   #3  
o/s - Win98
printer - compaq IJ900
connected via IEEE 1284 Printer cable
Port- LPT1

I was thinking that the restore was supposed to put it back in the factory original configuration. Not too savvy on the Registry, but thought it was backed up each time I booted up. Not sure if the problem is in puter or printer.

Tx for responding

WI

12-12-01, 09:06 AM   #4  
start up into your bios and see what the lpt port is set up as. ecp or the other (escapes me at the moment) if you have a plug and play bios, try uninstalling the lpt port and re-installing it, it may be missing a driver that it is unaware of. One of the others know what the other lpt port config is. Does the printer show up as "off line" in the printers folder or "online"? can you change the settings for the printer and can you send a test page?

It could very well be a problem with the printer.

Brian

12-12-01, 01:56 PM   #5  
Looke din printer folder. 'Location Sytem save' None of the attributes were checked and the attribute "system" is grayed out. This normal? Hmmm

When I try to print or do a test page, light on printer starts to blink and I get the messages.

IL

12-12-01, 03:08 PM   #6  
Its kind of a pain but try connecting your printer to another computer. It is possible that the printer really does need servicing. Other than that, download the latest drivers from Compaq and see if they work.

My guess is there is a communications mismatch which goes along with what BSD is saying.

By the way this is not the kind of problem that is worth doing a system restore for.

Visiting Guest

12-13-01, 06:17 AM   #7  
bigmike
Print Head

The print head will most certainly cause this problem! Unfortunately there is no way for you to check this without buying a new print head. That seems to be a run of the mill for todays printers. Found your Compaq for $229 on the web. You might take it in for a diagnoses but I really don't think I would put any money into it. Jeez you can buy really decent HP's and Cannons for under $200 now. My Cannon BJC 2000 lasted 2 years before the print head gave out. Got smart and went to laser this time.

Last edited by bigmike; 12-13-01 at 09:49 AM.

12-13-01, 08:38 AM   #8  
Think I may have found the problem. To the far right and inside of printer, there is a carriage-like thing ( cleaner?). Anyway, it seems the black cartridge had ruptured and leaked all the ink outon to it. Cleaned it and picked out the gummy ink pretty good. Then I made a doodle in Paint in color and tried to print it to see if the color cartridge would print if installed without the black being installed. It did, even ran a cartridge alignment for the color. But when I put the black back in, no go for either. Feels light as if empty now. Will get new black cartridge today and see if the problem is solved.

12-13-01, 11:38 PM   #9  
mrhoadar
"By the way this is not the kind of problem that is worth doing a system restore for."

Kinda thought that was the case, but with my limited knowledge, I was thinking if it is a software problem, this might fix it.

"Will get new black cartridge today and see if the problem is solved."
Bingo! After cleaning the ink from ruptured black cartridge and installing the new one, it seems to be back in working order.

Tx for all responses.

Search this Thread