Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Wont Defrag or Scandisk

Visiting Guest

12-11-01, 09:51 AM   #1  
SteelPanther
Wont Defrag or Scandisk

I have a gateway 366mhz pentium III computer running Windows 98 with cd burner, cd rom 3.5 floppy and 17 inch monitor. I use a cable modem for my internet connection. Im trying to defrag my system and to use scandisk to fix errors etc, but whenever i try using them they have to keep restarting because it says "Drives contents have changed" I went to the close programs box and closed everything except for explorer and scan disk and it still does it I have no idea how the hard disk contents are changing, Ive shut down everything i could possibly shut down and it still wont defrag or scan disk. I did shut off cable modem too to see if that was somehow doing it but no luck. any help is greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links

IL

12-11-01, 11:37 AM   #2  
Two ways around this.

You can create a system disk from the Add/Remove Progams dialog box (third tab over). Boot your computer from this and you can run scandisk from the dos prompt.

Also, force your computer into "Safe Mode" by hitting the F8 key as soon as you see the words "Starting Windows 98." However, Microsoft didn't leave much of a timeout for this and with faster computers it may take a few tries to get it. When you do get it you will be given a menu. Choose Safe Mode. Don't choose the one with Network support. Once in safe mode you should have a better chance of running the utilities.

Visiting Guest

12-11-01, 12:09 PM   #3  
mikejmerritt
SteelPanther, This would be another option to DOS or safe mode and lets you run Scandisk in Windows and is also helpful because Defrag must run within Windows so all is done in the same mode. The first thing to do if you haven't is turn off screensavers, power management, Scheduled Tasks, disable anti-virus and anything else that does anything. I use EndItAll for this type of thing and also to get clean downloads. Also check this MSKB article Drives Contents Have Changed. This should put you on your way.....Mike

Last edited by mikejmerritt; 12-14-01 at 12:25 AM.

Visiting Guest

12-13-01, 09:22 PM   #4  
SteelPanther
Still no luck

I have went into safe mode and tried to defrag still no luck even used enditall and shutdown everything except for explorer and the sys tray still will not defrag somethign is still writing to the disk im made sure the screen saver etc was all off?????

Visiting Guest

12-14-01, 01:16 AM   #5  
mikejmerritt
Ok, A little deeper we go....Start, Run, type "msconfig" without the quotes. Choose the Selective Startup radio button and then the Startup tab. Uncheck everything except: a. ScanRegistry
b. SystemTray
c. LoadPowerProfile (Usually twice)
d. TaskMonitor...... These entries are not located in the Startup folder because they are compiled from the registry. There are seven (six, if the initial Welcome screen is disabled) entries added by Win98 Setup on the Startup tab by default. Any additional entries are either added to the registry or to the Startup folder when installing other programs. Restart at the prompt. Now all startup items are unable to run and if like most of us there must have been something running you don't know about.
If you havn't run a Thorough Scandisk now would be a good time to verify that the disk is in good shape. Heres how: When you run the maintenance wizard it does a regular scandisk. This goes a step deeper removing lost file fragments, checks for crossliked files, invalid long filenames, checks TIF's for currupt files and repairs disk errors. This may take a while and is normal.
Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Scandisk. Choose Thorough, click on the Advanced button, In this box choose these: Display summary-Only if errors are found.....Log File-Replace log......Crosslinked files-Make copies.....Lost file fragments-Convert to files.....Check files for-Invalid file names....Check host drive first.....OK. Start in the next box. If you are asked if you want to create a log file choose yes. This should turn up anything that is wrong disk wise. When this is done cross your fingers and run Defrag. If Defrag runs properly the fault is in the Startup group. If Defrag continues to hang refer to the Drives Contents Have Changed (I fixed the link in my previous post) and do the Clean Boot routine described there. Try defrag and if it hangs the trouble could be in one of the .ini files......Mike

IL

12-14-01, 02:56 AM   #6  
We haven't mentioned it yet but are you running any virus protection?

Visiting Guest

12-14-01, 09:41 AM   #7  
SteelPanther
Hi i tried the clean boot etc and as for virus software i have mcafee but i disabled the virus software until i figure this out. I ran clean boot unchecked everything like mentioned and still no luck it still wont defrag right how do i find out about a problem with ini file etc as u mentioned. Thank you for your help Also the scan disk kept starting over and over as well i got a error message for that it took like1 hr but it finally got done. and it said it fixed one error.

Visiting Guest

12-14-01, 11:29 AM   #8  
mikejmerritt
Contrary machine you have there. Just a question before I try again. Are you still getting the message Drives Contents Have Changed? One thing you could do that has helped others is run the Disk Cleanup Tool which provides an easy interface to remove temporary internet files, .tmp files, and other optional components. Just might stumble on something. To start the Disk Cleanup Tool:

Click Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, and then click Disk Cleanup.

Select the drive you wish to clean up, and then click OK.

The Disk Cleanup menu is displayed with the files that you need to delete are already selected. NOTE: If you wish to take this opportunity to remove other items that are not automatically selected you can do so. If you are not familiar with the Disk Cleanup Tool, you might want to remove the items at a later date.
Suggestions:

a. Clear your Internet cache folder by starting the browser and emptying the cache from the options in the toolbar.

b. Empty the Recycle Bin.

c. Open My Computer/Explorer and delete any files in the C:\Windows\Temp folder and any other temporary folder you may have created.

Hint: If you have the PowerToys TweakUI installed use the Paranoia tab to clear every item listed.

IL

12-15-01, 08:50 AM   #9  
Is there any chance you upgraded from Windows 95? The reason I ask if you did you may not have converted to FAT32. This would be a good thing. If you're drive is not formated with FAT32 you can get an old Dos install disk, boot up with it, and run the Dos (5 or 6) version of Defrag. You can check by going to My Computer and right clicking the drive and choose Properties from the menu.

The only other thing I can think or is virtual memory. If Windows doesn't think you have enough Ram it uses part of the hard drive a Virtual memory. Right click "My Computer" and choose properties. Last tab over is Performance and there is a button here called Virtual Memory. Try booting up once with Virtual Memory disabled.

Good Luck.

Visiting Guest

12-16-01, 02:36 PM   #10  
SteelPanther
My system came from gateway with 98 nstalled on it so no for the upgrading from win95. I have tried disabling virtual memory etc everything i can think of and still no luck is there some kind of log that reports what is writing to drive C??? I am completely stumped on where to go from here becuz nothing is working.

Visiting Guest

12-17-01, 12:25 AM   #11  
mikejmerritt
SteelPanther, Its about the time in this thread that talk of a restore begins to pop up. All of the things that usually prevent defrag from working correctly have been done. Have you run System File Checker? If not, Start, Run, type "sfc" without the quotes. Choose the Scan For Altered Files radio button. If you get a list of bad files you can extract them from your Win 98CD or the Goback CD if Gateway had that when you bought your computer. OK, I'll break it out........Do you have a recovery CD? A low level format would return the machine to the day it was bought but preserve your data......Mike

Visiting Guest

12-17-01, 09:54 AM   #12  
SteelPanther
Hi Mike Im right along with you there infact i just wiped everything about 2 weeks befotre this happenned with a GWSCAN and wrote zeros to the drive and installed 98 and this happenned never able to defrag it even once do u suggest that i reformat again if so i will do, not to big of a worry seeing how i dont have much on here as of yet being only a month ago i reformatted it.

Visiting Guest

12-17-01, 12:03 PM   #13  
mikejmerritt
My vote would be to fdisk it and do it again. If I had known the history I would have skipped some of this in favor of fdisk. What led to the format a month ago?

Visiting Guest

12-17-01, 10:07 PM   #14  
SteelPanther
The refrmat a month ago was just cuz i was getting tired of cluttered space and wanted to start fresh and new instead i got a computer that wont dfrrag go figure lol Thank you for all the help Im going to do as the romans do and.. ahh whatever that saying isa im going to reformat lol Ty once again it is amazing how well a computer ruyns when it is brand new. Is there any way i can clear out everything such as stored memory things like that ive heard that some files etc stay in your memory no matter what???? How do i get rid of all that clutter as well?

Search this Thread