Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Volume Control problem

IL

12-11-01, 02:12 PM   #1  
Volume Control problem

I'm running Win98SE. When I boot up or reboot my system the volume control comes up with some of the options muted (like WaveOut). When I boot up there is no wave file sound like there would normally be. I double click the speaker in my tool bar launching the Volume Control program and uncheck the mute buttons and click OK etc and sounds are fine for the whole session. BUT, when I boot up again everything is back to the muted settings and I have to repeat unchecking all the mute buttons. How do you permanently apply these changes so that they stay after a reboot?

Sponsored Links
's Avatar
Visiting Guest

12-12-01, 02:43 AM   #2  
If possible a good thing to try is to re-install the sound card driver OR better yet download the latest driver for that card and install it.

Question:

Are you using the Windows volume control/mixer?

Robert
A+, MCP+I,MCSE, W2KMCP

IL

12-12-01, 06:15 AM   #3  
Yes I am using the Win98 volume contol / mixer. I am not using any volume control software that came with the sound board. On other systems I thought when I made a volume control setting change it stayed that way, but this system boots every time with the wave sounds muted and the daily ritual is to double click the speaker icon in the tool bar and unmute the wave slider...then sounds are fine. ????
In the past the settings all were fine and someone "did me a favor" and loaded on real juke box and ever since then I've had this problem. I did an add/ remove of the juke box and uninstalled it but that hasn't made this volume control issue change.

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

12-12-01, 06:43 AM   #4  
If the changing the driver does not work you can try replacing the SNDVOL32.EXE file from your c:\windows or c:\windows\system32 folder with one from another Win98 machine that has it working. This file IS the windows volume control. If it was changed or corrupted in some way replacing it should correct the problem. You can also get the original file from the Win98 CD but you might have to use the Windows File Checker utility to get it extracted from the cabs.

I would definately try updating the driver first, it is easy and it would be good to do it anyway.

Let me know what happens,
Robert
A+, MCP+I,MCSE, W2KMCP

IL

12-17-01, 12:40 PM   #5  
I tried changing the sndvol32.exe first to no avail...then uninstalled the sound card stuff thru the control panel/ system/ device manager/ then removing everything to do with the sound card. When it booted up it reloaded all the drivers automatically and that fixed the problem. SOOOOO , you were right in the first and second place!!! Thanks for the help, I am off to make sure there isn't an update for the driver also. Thanks again...you have corrected a problem I've been living with for a couple months!GOOD JOB CYBERBOB!

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

12-17-01, 04:56 PM   #6  
NO PROBLEM!

Search this Thread