cd-rom and cd-rw probs

Old 12-12-01, 07:25 AM
cd-rom and cd-rw probs

Just tried installing new cdrw on middle of secondary IDE cable - same one going to cdrom. Set cdrw to master and cdrom to slave. system won't recognize cdrw, but if just hook up cdrw (without cdrom hooked up) it recognizes the cdrw fine. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Nick

Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-01, 09:24 AM
BSB
try reversing slave and master, sounds like the cdrom is not letting go of the master selection. why I havn't a clue. (have the same problem with one of my hard drives) or try selecting cable select.

Brian

Old 12-12-01, 09:43 AM
Thanks for quick answer, but I already tried that. Wonder if I have a bad cable (just donned on me) - or is that highly unlikely? thanks, Nick

Old 12-12-01, 11:05 AM
BSB
when you hook up just CDRW do you leave it connected on middle connecter or do you move it? when you put cdrom on middle connector and cdrw on end connector does it still only see the cdrom? and visa versa.

How about this, did you turn the 2nd ide bios options on? primary and secondary? most bios' give you two places to set em up. If the secondary is not setup you will only see one drive at a time, no matter where its connected, or how.

Brian

Old 12-12-01, 12:19 PM
CD drive hookup

If you plan on copying CD's from one drive to the other, it is better to put the CDRW drive on the primary channel and the CD-ROM on the secondary. That way you don't transfer all of the data through the same IDE channel. I have found that I get much fewer errors that way

Nashcat

Old 12-12-01, 03:01 PM
There are a few bios out there that need you to do an IDE scan in the bios setup screens before it will enable devices. I usually do it everytime I put in a new device just to be on the safe side.

Old 12-13-01, 01:05 PM
BSB...sorry to show my ignorance, but never heard of 2nd bios option - how would I do that?

Old 12-13-01, 04:33 PM
BSB
It would help if I could explain in more technical terms or correct terminology for that matter. but...

For example my bios has 3 areas I need to set up IDE control. The first area is manual settings of IDE devices, then I have to make sure both primary and secondary IDE controllers are turned on, or I can have the bios scan for any IDE devices.

I guess the bottom line is, if your bois is not setup to look for a slave device off your primary or secondary IDE channel then it will never load up more then one device at a time.

Brian.

p.s. I am the absolute worste when it comes to explaining something in a way that is understandable unless I am describing what I see, not what I squezze from my memory. hehe.

Old 12-14-01, 04:08 PM
Visiting Guest
Possibly Cable Select

It is possible that the IDE cable that you have is a CABLE SELECT cable. You can tell this by looking at the cable and seeing if there is a hole through the cable at one end. If there is than get rid of it and get yourself a different IDE cable.

Old 12-14-01, 04:32 PM
CD-ROM/CD-RW Trouble Shooting

I just put a 52X Creative CD-ROM in as a slave to an HP 9150i CD-RW. This 14 page PDF manual made it fast and better yet, it worked great. Good luck Marturo

http://www.americas.creative.com/sup...sp?Centric=128