Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Processor upgrade

Super Moderator

CANADA

12-13-01, 03:18 PM   #1  
Processor upgrade

I have a P-2/266mhz processor, slot 1 connection.
My motherboard manual says that I can support up to 450 mhz.
I have been trying to locate a 450 mhz processor for this machine but have not had any luck.
Would it be possible to underclock a faster one to be able to work on my system?

GregH.........HVAC/R Tech

Sponsored Links

WI

12-13-01, 04:15 PM   #2  
Go to www.pricewatch.com search under cpu's.

It is possible to set the multiplier to underclock a faster slot 1 cpu, but not sure it if will work. 450 is the fastest PII will go up to, so you will need to make sure your MOBO will support a PIII. If not yer stuck with PII.

You are looking at $80+ plus shipping for a PII 450.

Brian

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

12-14-01, 04:08 AM   #3  
BSB,

Usually the info on the MB's manuals are outdated and don;t necesarily represent what your Mb my currently support. If possible get the exact model/make and bios version of your MB and we can check to see what if any changes there might be processor support. If it happens to be at least a BX(chipset) based board more than likely there will be a bios update to support newer CPU's even PIII's.

Let me know
Robert
A+, MCP+I,MCSE, W2KMCP

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

12-14-01, 04:06 PM   #4  
Try Here...

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...ty=MetaEndSort

Super Moderator

CANADA

12-15-01, 03:39 AM   #5  
Upgrade

I have located a 400mhz P-2 processor, but find it interesting that I could possibly run a processor faster than 450.
My system details are:
Motherboard; I-440-BX - ITE 867-2A69 KV 3BC-00
Bios; Award Flash Bios - V4.51PG

IL

12-15-01, 08:59 AM   #6  
Just a thought, have any of the rest of you been seeing these "Sloket" adapters? They are suppose to allow you to put a Socket chip into a Slot Motherboard. I've been seeing them for under $10 bucks.

Greg H your big limiting factor will be mother board buss speed. Most of the PII boards maxed out a 100 Mhz. Some only went to 66. Still, if the above mentioned adapters work you could put a celeron chip in. They all run at 66Mhz.

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

12-15-01, 11:32 AM   #7  
Greg,

According to the bios ID you gave me the board was manufactured by a company named PCPartner. The exact model of the board should be displayed elswhere in the boot up screen or printed somewhere on the board itself. Go to http://www.pcpartner.com/bios/i440.htm#440bx and attenpt to match one of those models with your board.

As far as the "Slocket" adapters are concerned, all it does is "convert" from slot 1 to socket but it DOES NOT give the motherboard support for the CPU being installed on it. Whether or not the CPU is going to work is still dependent on the MB supporting it and that is what we are trying to find out thru the manufacturer.

Let me know what you find.
A+, MCP+I,MCSE, W2KMCP

Super Moderator

CANADA

12-15-01, 02:35 PM   #8  
Upgrade

My board is a BXA 808D with 2 meg flash IC and can support 100 mhz bus speed.

Search this Thread