CD RW Disks

Old 12-14-01, 10:30 AM
ed.bignell
Visiting Guest
CD RW Disks

Is it true that CD-RW disks cannot be played on home or car stereos ? Or is there some kind of trick that can make this happen.

I have copied a music disk over to a CD-RW and get this message and sure enough, I can play the disks on the computer but not my DVD.
Any advice ?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-01, 12:48 PM
The ones I made played great on my home stereo, I dont have a car CD player

Old 12-14-01, 03:01 PM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Wave

The MP3 has to be broken down into its original "Wave" format (un-compressed format). You need to manually decode back to wave or use a program that will do it for you like "Nero5" and select <Audio CD>, grab the mp3 and Nero will decode it back to wave format and it will then play in car/home CD player. But that also takes you back to a regular 74 minute CD. Your DVD player will have to be hard wired internally for MP3, most of the higher dollar DVD players will decode MP3 and I believe I saw a car stereo that does but can't find it again. **Hey Tom I was wondering, when you create your CD does it offer either data or audio CD format?**

Old 12-14-01, 04:01 PM
Visiting Guest
That is Possible

Some CDr's may not work in Home or Car (especially Car) players depending upon the color of the medium. Some Cd Players cannot read from the Blue or Green medium Cd's. but all should be able to read Gold or Silver Medium Cd's.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-14-01, 11:57 PM
Mike. I dont see where it says. I just know it is a MemorexCD-R and it recorded great and played back great in my home stereo. I am not familar with what MP3 are, until you mentioned them! By the way Mike, Can I use these CDR for data even though it doesnt say it, OR is there more room or something on the Data ones? I want to back up things on this new XP and my 98SE with them, if it can be done? I want to use for both if i can!

Old 12-15-01, 02:04 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
I just gota Sony DVD for $150 and it is mp3 ready. It has some odd drawbacks like only seeing the first session of mp3's burned per disk but overall for the money it works well.
Tom, wrong Mike here but do have an answer. Data or audio choice is made within the CD burning softaware. Any CD-R or CD-RW will work for audio or data but there may be some brands that are incompatable with certain CD players. To do full backups to CDR/CD-RW you will have to have a program that will span cd's together. Ghost is described at this ZDNet site and Ghosting at this site by Don Kingery who is a PC master. You will have to look at his truck but things could be worse. One thing about Ghost is most of the work is done in DOS. Drive Image runs within Windows. You can always send anything less than 650-700 MB to CD without the need for spanning. MS Backup is a very poor backup utility and doesn't support spanning and neither does my Adaptec CD burning software....Mike

Old 12-15-01, 02:16 AM
MikeJM: Sorry about the mixup, but you know I thought it was you when i replied. Thank You and Big Mike for the information and Tip. Will keep it in mind.

Old 12-15-01, 02:06 PM
To burn audio cds that can be played on any consumer (or most ) audio cd player, you must use a regular cdr disk, not a cdrw disk, and it must be burned in one session. cd rw will play on your computer but not on most regular cd players. You can use your cdrw burner but use a regular cdr blank for burning audio cd's.

When using a regular cdr blank disk , burn all the songs in one session (one shot burn) if you burn a few songs and then later add to them, you may not be able to play them anywhere except on you computer. cdrw's are fine for data or anything that will be used on the computer only, but not for play on consumer cd players. Use a cdr (not rewritable) for audio to be played away from the computer. and I don't think Direct CD can be used for audio cd's.

Old 12-16-01, 06:13 AM
ed.bignell
Visiting Guest
Talking CD Burning - Audio Files

Many thanks for all of the tips. After much frustration and wasting 2 CDR's. I was able to convert my audio download files (mp3 to wav) and successfully burn a disk that would play on my DVD/car stereo.

Old 12-16-01, 08:50 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool :)

There ya go, no matter what u do u have to convert an MP3 back to Wave format to play on a regular CD player... I am never wrong... Well I never admit it anyway Thanks for everyones input though!!! That's what makes DIY the place to ask a question!!! All of us comming together, beating the bush till the rabbit runs out

Old 12-21-01, 07:41 AM
RobSchaef
Visiting Guest
I believe that there is one company that has come out with a car stereo that will play MP3 format, but I can't remember who. There is a internet radio out for your car.

Old 12-22-01, 06:45 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Stereo

Man I cannot find it. I know I read an article some about it but can't find it. It was astronomicaly priced though I do remember that.

Old 12-23-01, 03:37 AM
Gary Tait
Visiting Guest
It is Kenwood, that has a car CD/MP3 player, at least.

It would be cheaper to get a portable MP3 player of some sort,
and connecting it to your car stereo somehow.

Old 12-23-01, 05:16 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Tape

I have a faux tape that plugs into the cassette of a car that connects thru the pick-up's on the audio head of the tape. Play a portable CD etc thru the car stereo. I have used mine for the laptop, ham gear etc while running coast to coast. Mine has adjustments to align it with the host radio's heads for optimum clairity. About $20, $35 for a really nice one with thumb wheels to adjust the head. Only downside is while the adapter tape is in the deck the deck is running.