Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Display looks like an hourglass

12-15-01, 04:59 PM   #1  
Display looks like an hourglass

The display on my monitor is shaped like a hourglass. Vertical position seems fine, but horizonally, everything goes beyond the screen where I can't see it. I have to view everything minimized to be able to view the outer part of anything on the screen, no matter what application I'm running; so it's not a browser problem. I've tried the buttons on the front of my monitor and it doesn't seem to make that much of a difference. I tried adjusting the resolution and pixels to different settings. I updated the monitor and video drivers. I've searched all of HP's web site and tried their e-mail help, even tried Microsoft's knowledge base in hopes it was a software issue with the Windows shell. Pincushion & trapizod settings just brings the center of the screen out further than the plastic. Nothing seems to bring the top and bottom toward the plastic to see it. The horizonal sizing is basically the same effect. I have an HP Pavilion Pentium 3 with Win98 installed, M70 17" monitor. System is only 2 years old. Any help greatly appreciated. Could it be a video card or monitor problem. Hardware failure of some kind? thanks

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

12-16-01, 03:34 AM   #2  
Smokey
Good Morning, Skipslot:
I dropped over from the Television/Stereo forum and noted your post.

When you have the hourglass image, the usual failure is a deflection yoke on the neck of the monitor picture tube. The deflection yoke (or deflection transformer) has shorted windings.

The usual cause of this problem is high humidity. The monitor was left off for a long period of time and moisture accumulated in the windings of the deflection yoke. This device carries some hefty voltages when the monitor is running. Turning on the unit with the moisture in the windings and an arc occurs. Windings short together. Result: an hourglass image. Windings will continue to short over time and the result is a totally black picture.

Check out this FAQ giving attention to Paragraph 23.12:
http://an.hitchcock.org/repairfaq/REPAIR/F_tvfaq.html

It's Christmas. I suggest you treat yourself to a new monitor.

Smokey

12-16-01, 04:00 AM   #3  

Thank you very much. I've been wondering what I need to do for a month or so now. I now know what direction to go.
Thank you, Skipslot

Search this Thread