After Boot No C:\ Drive

Old 12-16-01, 11:35 PM
chess23389
Visiting Guest
Unhappy After Boot No C:\ Drive

OK I went to the site that you advised me to go to and downloaded the at good boot utitility and it booted but now I'm afraid that that it is not seeing her c drive .Was this a result of that new virsus worm something? Cause she says that she has not been on the pc that much in the last 2 months . Anyway like i said I put the boot disk in and it loaded to A:\ so I typed in (edit) and in the directory list it only showed A:\ drive listed and so I tryed typing in B drive and it went to B drive , I typed in dir and got command files stuff . But to me there is not C:\ drive listed anywhere. SO how do i get the pc to see her c:\ drive and reinstall windows 95 or 98 please help

Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-01, 02:48 AM
amccavitt
Visiting Guest
You can boot to a boot disk in a: drive. Then type FDISK. Depending on which version boot disk you use, you may or may not see a window pop up with a long paragraph about file system size, if you see this select Y,,,if not you will be taken into a screen with 1-4 choices. Choose number 4, it shows you the current partitions on the hard drive. If you choice 4, and it says, no current fixed disk, that means the system does not see a hard drive.

If it says no partitions defined, go back and choose number one to make a partition, and it will ask you how big you want it and stuff. then after the size verification, you will need to reboot. Get back to a c:\ prompt, then do the format.

If it does show partition, then exit out back to a c:\ prompt
Type format c:
This WILL erase everything on the drive!!!!
after the format is complete, then you can load a OS.

Hope this makes some since.