Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Floppy drive A doesn't read

Visiting Guest

12-17-01, 12:28 PM   #1  
papa22
Floppy drive A doesn't read

Hello,
My computer recently developed a problem where I can't access the floppy drive...the floppy light goes on but it doesn't read or write too any diskette. I tried reloading the driver for the drive but it still acts the same. Can you tell me of any way I can test this to see if it's a software or hardware problem.
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

12-18-01, 02:49 AM   #2  
lucman2
Hello papa22,
If the light is working and it doesn't give you an immediate error...but waits approximately 5 seconds before giving you a "read error" then it sounds like it is trying to read the floppy. This tells me that it isn't a software problem, but rather a hardware (floppy drive) problem.
Instead of replacing the floppy drive. First, get a flashlight and try gently cleaning the read/record heads of the drive by opening the door and extending a long wooden cotton swab (dampened with alcohol) towards the back where the heads are. There are 2, one above the other. This should remedy the problem.
Good Luck!

Visiting Guest

12-18-01, 03:17 PM   #3  
papa22
Thank you sooo much lucman2. Your recommendations were "correct"! It started working immediately after I cleaned the heads. This is an awesome site. Thanks again lucman2...... for your technical expertise.

Search this Thread