Memory and loading

Old 12-23-01, 04:23 AM
Visiting Guest
Memory and loading

Normally when asking a PC related question I give PC specs, I don't I'll have to for these questions.
1. Have 3 memory slots with 64 sdram in each. Can I mismatch memory stick? IE: 2 64's and a 124 or 124 and a 256 ?
2. I have trouble loading programs. I have 2 HD. 1 is a 2.1 and I use that as my C drive and Windows is resident there. 2nd HD is a 6 Gig slaved off the cd-rom with is divided equaly for a d,e and f drive. The configurations were not down by meWhen I go to load a program to any of the drives on the 2nd HD, I get a lot of Blue screen msg saying unable to write to drive. This is with everything running in the background shut off. If I try and load the same program onto the c drive and the other HD, no sweat other than that one is pretty full. Any Ideas.
God Bless America and Merry Xmas
Duncan T

Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-01, 06:07 AM
Huxley
Visiting Guest
Ram

Yes you can mismatch memory I have pc66,pc100 in the same machine one is 128 ram ,one is 64 ram and the other is 32 ram they all work fine together this comes to a total on the machine to 216 because the computer uses 8 ram of memory for the shared video card. You will find your computer will be very stable with alot of ram. I have a genaric computer and it helped it out alot. Ram is cheap at www.pricewatch.com

Old 12-23-01, 07:36 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Drive

If it were Simm memory you may have run into a problem. As for the drive, I would most likely go for a drive getting ready to fail. Can you see the drive/s in Windows Explorer? Do a <Through> Scan Disk on this drive, see if anything comes up. Defrag it after the scan disk and then scan disk/defrag at least once a week from then on. What OS? Is the board BIOS capable of LBA (Large Block Access/32 Bit) access? Do you have the 2ond drive <Auto> configured in the BIOS? Look in <Device Manager> and see if the second PCI/Bridge device is loaded if you can't see the drive in manager. Anybody think of anything else?