Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

AMD athlon RAM type

12-23-01, 02:13 PM   #1  
AMD athlon RAM type

What type of memory do most PCs with AMD Athlon processors use? The machine that I am asking about is a Gateway, approx. 2 years old. E-5000 perhaps. (I do not have the machine, a family member does. She needs more memory added to it, it only has 64MB in it. The difficulty is finding a time when she is home that I can go to her house to work on the machine. This is the reason I would like to find out as much as possible ahead of time. I may have a chance to work on it in the next several days. This has created the new urgency for information gathering. I have checked several manufactures websites that make RAM, but there are too many inconsistencies. I figure someone here knows some details,, can find some, or point me to them. It wasnot my choice to buy that lousy machine!)

gj

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

12-23-01, 04:00 PM   #2  
mikejmerritt
green jacket, Have you tried www.crucial.com ....Type in the model and so forth and you'll get some answers....Mike

12-23-01, 05:13 PM   #3  
Is there any database somewhere that lists the standard specs for most machines (ie without tons of custimizations/upgrades etc.) and basic options available?
I dont know the exact model, it is either a 5000 or 5200 (but what version?). doubt that it is 4xxx. I notice that the model numbers for compatible memory change with even the slightest comp model change. (I experimented and looked through the entire list of E-5xxx machines at crucial.com)

I'll wait until tomorrow to see if anyone has any further help to provide on he issue regarding what basic type of memory this machine should take.

gj

Visiting Guest

12-24-01, 12:56 AM   #4  
mikejmerritt
Good Question on the Database

I don't know of one because Crucial has me spoiled. Unless I am missing what you are after (I think its a RAM upgrade) all you need is the model of Gateway machine in question. If we had a database now you would need the exact Athlon model and seems to me that would be harder to come up with than getting the model off of the front of the machine. I know you can't narrow your search at Crucial to one yet but didn't you get a good idea where to go with this? If running Win98 256MB is all it can use. My guess on this unit is you can add 64MB or pull the 64 in it and put in two 96's or 128's. On this machine at Crucial would cost about $45.00 to go all the way to 256MB but one card of 64 would probably serve the purpose....Mike

Visiting Guest

12-24-01, 02:47 AM   #5  
bigmike
Memory

Most likley you are looking for SDIMM memory. Best Buy, Circuit City all have this memory and it is dirt cheap now. Installing is the biggest step, it has to be seated properly, your owners manual will tell you what to do. I never have figured why folks don't keep their owners manuals, that and the reciept are the most important paperwork you can have for your equipment. Since Dell, Gateway have some odd systems out there you would be best to call whoever and find out what it takes. Don't let them kid you, you can buy memory from anywhere unless they have a special type mounted to the board which is unlikely.

12-24-01, 05:46 AM   #6  
Memory? Motherboard? suggest: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/d050901.html
Motherboard Manual / How to suggest: http://www.motherboards.org/ (check links also).

IL

12-26-01, 06:51 PM   #7  
You want pc133 SDRAM. If your system is using pc100, no biggie. 133 is about the same price as 100 and will work. And let's say, later down the road someone wants to give it a little boost(overclockin' it ) That person would be greatful.

Search this Thread