Erasing harddrive

Old 01-06-02, 10:12 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Erasing harddrive

Before donating my old computer to a local school I want to be sure all of my files and programs are erased. I plan to use the add/remove program but I know this isn't sufficient. Suggestions are welcome!

Old 01-06-02, 12:02 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
sandy2000, Do you want to wipe the drive clean or sift through the files removing only your data? ....Mike

Old 01-06-02, 11:09 PM
I have heard that it is best to wipe it clean.
It has 4-5 years of Quicken data on it and I want to rest easy at night knowing that the data is wiped out.

Old 01-07-02, 12:39 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Windows 95:
All you need do is type format c: at the DOS prompt or right click on the C drive in My Computer and select "Format" from the menu that appears. You will be asked to confirm your decision in either case. Once FULL (not quick) formatting has completed, if you would like to enable the CD-ROM reboot your computer making sure you have the startup floppy disk already in drive A. This will automatically run a batch sequence to install a default generic CD-ROM driver which will enable your CD-Rom drive for use or let the next owner do this with there own OS procedure.

Windows 98:
At the A: prompt, type FORMAT C: /S

Old 01-07-02, 02:52 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Formating for Sale

In today’s world of everyone wanting to choke the last possible cent of us I believe it is OK to donate, pass on a computer with no OS on it. Most of us that look for those types of “Deals” will have software and those that don’t your buddy across the street probably has 95/98 lying in a drawer.
If nothing else throw Win 95 or 98 on it only if you’re selling it. It is legal to sell a computer w/an OS on it. But at the end of the day, you are the one ultimately responsible for the contents of that drive. But formatting is the best way to go. PS: Since it's a school I would leave it blank, they have software assigned to them.

Old 01-07-02, 03:49 AM
Visiting Guest
If you want to be sure....

You can purchase software that will secure wipe your hard drive. For example, McAfee offers a PGP Personal Security software with encryption but it also comes with a utility that performs a wipe of all free space on your hard drive to ensure that it can not be recovered. After deleting all your personal information, you run the program to wipe the free space on your drive. Very effective.

Old 01-07-02, 04:02 AM
bigmike
Visiting Guest
Cool Money

But why spend money for something that you are going to give away. All the McCaffe, Norton etc stand alone cleaning products, Win Clean etc are buggy, most of the time they cause more problems than they fix. I am not saying that they don't always work, just talking from a bench point of view. As much as I slam Windoze you have to admit, Bill has spent billions building this software, I don't think some teenager, naked and drooling from to much caffine and pain killers, is going to be able to have a serious impact on the Windoze OS. Other than hurting it with a hack or crack or virus...

Old 01-07-02, 04:46 AM
In The News

I think all of us have read with interest at how the Military and Law Enforcement have found hard drives that yield tremendous Information. I'm sure that some of the Bad guys, Formated their Hard drives. If I were to donate a computer with as much as my name on that hard drive I have only two options 1. Remove the Hard drive. 2. Buy Norton Utilities 2002 at Wal-Mart for $29.00 and use their wipe utility on DOD (Department Of Defense) setting. Then and only then, will you have made the Hard drive information unrecoverable. It's your name and personal information on that drive. Is your safety worth $29.00? Just my 2 cents worth. Marturo

Old 01-07-02, 06:21 AM
Visiting Guest
Protect Financial Info

I assumed by the way the original post was phrased that the donator had purchased a new system and needed to get rid of the old. The encryption/safe wipe software can be used on the new system. Either way, there is no way I would give away or sell a hard drive that I didn't make darn sure had been completely wiped of all financial information. There are too many people looking to steal other's identities for their own gain.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: