Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Compaq Restore

12-29-01, 01:31 PM   #1  
Compaq Restore

I can format my entire HD and boot from the Restore CD. Does anyone know how to set the computer up using the programs Compaq uses when they made this box a 5245 instead of a 5246 or 5247. I see those choices when the HD is wiped clean. The last time I did this I lost Office 97 Word and Works. Out of answers, only questions now. Thanks For any input,
Marturo

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

12-29-01, 03:13 PM   #2  
jmet
Most of the time Compaq uses the same disk for several different models so i dont know why you would not get certain programs from one time to the next.

Besides if Office comes with a computer when bought it will come on its own disk as according to there stringent licensing scheme. And usually Works as well.

If nothing else id explore the disk afterwords but youll likely not find anything youll be able to use....

Hope this helps.........

12-29-01, 07:55 PM   #3  
A real mess Ollie :>}

How it happened. I did a Complete Format on a machine that is made up of a great deal of Hardware that uses Software emulation instead of just hardware & Software. When you Format the HD like a new box the CD acts like a bootable Factory setup CD. If you know the trick you can load Win 98, Office 97, MS Word & MS Works then the setup program will ask are you done? Do you want to quit and run cleanup install? I was trying to load a stand alone ver. of Win 98SE. This cant work because there is so much MS/Compaq Win 98 programing and If you don't use the Factory setup Compaq CD your hardware what little there is of it, won't work at all. So I did manage to setup Win 98/Compaq OS and all those little junk programs they throw in but even though I see Office 97, MS Word & MS Works I don't know how to get them to load, no .EXEs in this programing. Now the way Compaq want's it to work is you drop in the Restore CD and all those files and Programs that make up the Emulation are saved in D: drive ( Save ). I am looking for someone who has tried what I did, and understands how to use the CD when it is in the Factory setup role to load all the files and Programs that will make this a 5245 Compaq with it's Office 97, Word & Works. Yes I tried that first, Compaq said to ask MS and MS said it was not their software problem but Compaqs. In this case Compaq has a CD that works as a Factory setup CD for at least 7 other 5200 series Computers all controled by what the setup person installs at the factory. Then when that is done the same CD is used as a Restore CD for the end user. It's not the end of the world if I never get the programs back, but it would be good to know how to fix this problem if someone did this and this was their primary Machine. Thanks for hearing me out on this unique problem. Maturo

Visiting Guest

12-30-01, 02:15 AM   #4  
mikejmerritt
Shot in the Dark!

marturo, I've had little luck finding info on this anomoly. It seems it should be easier to restore a machine from the restore disk than this and get all of the programs you paid for. I did find some help on how to clean a Compaq and do a clean install of OS only but it seems that it is not full proof and I only mention it because so many try to do this and fail. Here is what I did find that seems to pertain to your problem but it is just a shot in the dark....

To find the layout of the restore disk....
. Insert the first restore disk, open it, and in the "bom" folder you'll find which file numbers fit which Compaq's. In the "copytod" folder you'll find a I30.sku file, it's the complete layout of the disks, open it with notepad. Just find the file number on one of the two disks and follow the instructions WinZip gives, when you click setup.exe,to install them. You'll just have to manualy clean the files out your start menu when your done.

Simple sounding huh...

I'm going to get my hands a Compaq one day to play with...better watch what I ask for, sounds like most Compaq owners would stack them on my porch.....Mike

12-30-01, 01:14 PM   #5  
watch your front porch

Hi Mike
I do believe you see the problem much clearer than a shot in the dark. Simple sounding no, but it is closer than I have come before now. Is this proceture used after the HD is completly formated? As it is I can explore the one CD and find some things that fit but with the HD clean the CD becomes so much more. There is the compressed files section with the model number options and many more choices with file extentions I don't understand as of now. So at present I have the Win 98 OS and all the emulation programs to run the hardware so all that is missing is Office 97 & MS Word & Works. I assume that all of the 5200s serviced by this factory setup CD have Win 98 as the OS and it is the other programs like one might have Office 97 and another might have Word & Works or all three. At first I contacted MS to ask them if Office and Word & Works were put on at the factory and during a Restore just saved over to D: to reinstall when the Restore process was complete. They said we duno call Compaq so I did they said they did not understand what I had done to lose the programs. So I asked them. What software would you send me if I ordered a new replacement HD? Well you have your original Restore CD don't you? Now that must mean that the CD has The OS and the three other programs on it or they would send me a replacement HD just for the 5245 with the software for that model and right next to it on the shelf is a HD for a 5246, So that was proof positive that all was on the CD they load it with this or that set of programs and then on goes the model number. Now Mike are you saying you have heard of others who have compleatly Formated their Compaq HD and then were able to get their compleate software programs back into place on the HD? Marturo

01-01-02, 04:48 AM   #6  
The other side of the coin

What I learned: Never Format a compaq HD all the way. Don't expect to get the programs back that you have lost. After you try everything you will finaly get to the truth. In a large RED box : This is a Compaq Restore CD and this is not a COMPAQ! End of quest end of story. If you have to buy instead of build then remember that company makes all the rules, so always follow their rules and you can own a store bought box and be happy. As for me building a box comes easy so Compaq can have this trash out there for sale till ell freezes over and all they will ever get from me is a chuckle as I walk past the garbage asile in Wal-Mart where they are for sale. I'm free as a bird with a great big example of Emulation and people control wraped up in a really ugly box. That is the story of one more unsasified Compaq X owner. Marturo

Search this Thread